No chlorine

Well I told you I wouldn't bore you with the details, but........here is the update.

I feel like I have been doing pretty well. Due to work I can't check as often as I would like, but I have been checking frequently at night.

At a CYA of 35 my shock goal is 14. I have bouncing around between 7.5 (it only got this low after my first night) and 18. I have overshot my FC a couple of times using PoolMath, so I think I may need to adjust my pool size. 30K was my best guess using the an estimated avg pool depth. In reality it may be 28K or so.

My first night I went from 13 FC at 1130 pm to 7.5 FC at 600, so obviously I still have something eating my FC. The past couple of tests I have done tonight my water turns just slightly pink when I am testing my CC, but it takes one or two drops to make it completely clear. I want to say my CC is ZERO since the water just barely turns pink, but I am trying not to cheat.

My last test showed a FC of 18 and a CC on 1. I'll check and adjust one more time before I go to bed and then see what it looks like in the morning.

By the way...I thought my water was clear before I started my SLAM, boy was I wrong. My water looks SO MUCH CLEARER now. It is awesome. Also, me and my kids swam in the water for a couple of hours tonight during one of those windows when my FC dropped slightly below shock (I know technically my CC is not zero and I shouldn't be swimming in my pool, but I figured we have been swimming in it for weeks and it has never been cleaner than now, so.....) and for the first time my eyes don't burn after swimming.

Im hoping to see ZERO CC soon and have my FC level out.

your like me, I used to think I kept a clear pool. Now I do !

Remember, it's better to go a little over than fall under Slam. Sounds like your about to get it whipped !

I sometimes have a slight shade of pink, that one drop clears up. Remember also, that after you test FC and let the sample sit, it will start to turn pink on it' own. So don't dally to long between FC and CC tests ;)

A CC of 1 is no big deal as far as swimming! It is safe so long as the FC is just below SLAM level.

I as so happy to hear that you can see such a difference in your water!

I do a OCLT every once in a while just because IT is the test that shows something is going on in the water better than any other test.

You have done a great job!

Kim

So my FC SLAM goal is 14. Last night at 1130 I was at 17 and this morning I only went down to 15.5!!!!:p

I still got a CC reading of between .5 and 1, so I guess I should keep going? I was thinking of maybe letting my FC drop a little so my kids can swim in the pool today and then bump my FC back up to SLAM level tonight. Bad idea?

So my FC SLAM goal is 14. Last night at 1130 I was at 17 and this morning I only went down to 15.5!!!!:p

I still got a CC reading of between .5 and 1, so I guess I should keep going?

There is no guessing as to whether your slam is finished. You must pass all three tests. You've only passed one (clear water). Your CC is still above .5 and you've failed the OCLT. Keep slamming!

There is no guessing as to whether your slam is finished. You must pass all three tests. You've only passed one (clear water). Your CC is still above .5 and you've failed the OCLT. Keep slamming!

SLAM is done!!!

Water is amazingly clear....Only lost 1 ppm of FC last night and my CC was ZERO this morning.

IMG_0310.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. I feel like I am on my way, but I am sure I'll be back with more questions in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, our first pic of the pool! Looks great. Enjoy the sparkliness.

Where in the world are you that you could take that wonderful pic????????

I want to see the kids coming down that slide! I don't dare show that to my husband. He has always wanted a slide.

Kim

HA!!! The camera angle is a little unusual and the extension cord is a hint. I was 20 ft up in one of my pecans boring a hole through a branch for a tree swing for my 4 yr old's B day and I looked down and said, "that is a great view of my pool!"

We had 8 kids and 2 adults in the pool today, so I am a little a nervous about testing my water....I have a feeling some of those little guys may have bumped my CC up. We will see.......

I passed my SLAM....now what?

So I passed my SLAM yesterday when my FC went from 14 to 13 overnight and my CC was ZERO in the morning. My CYA is 35 so my target shock level was 14.

We had a great day in the pool yesterday. We had 8 kids and 2 adults in the pool for most of the day. This morning I checked my levels and my FC was at 7 and my CC was at .5. I have read that there is some difference of opinion on a CC of .5. Some people say it is no big deal and to just treat it like a CC of ZERO. Some people say it is time to SLAM. Any opinions, experience, or further explanation on this?

Also it worries me a little that I lost 6 ppm of FC in a 24 hour period. Is this unusual to lose so much FC? Although we had some heavy usage yesterday this is actually going to be pretty typical for our pool (hopefully). If I consider my SLAM done, my goal FC is 4.5. But does that mean that after a full day of usage my FC is going to drop to ZERO (if I lose 6 ppm on a heavy day)?

My plan going forward was to do a daily test in the morning and add bleach as needed. Do I need to rethink this? Is it best to always test right after a heavy day of usage and add bleach if needed? Do I need to test more than once a day?

Thanks all.

- - - Updated - - -

I passed my SLAM....now what?

So I passed my SLAM yesterday when my FC went from 14 to 13 overnight and my CC was ZERO in the morning. My CYA is 35 so my target shock level was 14.

We had a great day in the pool yesterday. We had 8 kids and 2 adults in the pool for most of the day. This morning I checked my levels and my FC was at 7 and my CC was at .5. I have read that there is some difference of opinion on a CC of .5. Some people say it is no big deal and to just treat it like a CC of ZERO. Some people say it is time to SLAM. Any opinions, experience, or further explanation on this?

Also it worries me a little that I lost 6 ppm of FC in a 24 hour period. Is this unusual to lose so much FC? Although we had some heavy usage yesterday this is actually going to be pretty typical for our pool (hopefully). If I consider my SLAM done, my goal FC is 4.5. But does that mean that after a full day of usage my FC is going to drop to ZERO (if I lose 6 ppm on a heavy day)?

My plan going forward was to do a daily test in the morning and add bleach as needed. Do I need to rethink this? Is it best to always test right after a heavy day of usage and add bleach if needed? Do I need to test more than once a day?

Thanks all.

Congrats on passing the SLAM! :goodjob: So here's how I would answer your questions:
- Losing 6 ppm FC in a 24-hour period; may not be unreasonable given all the bodies in the pool. Add to that the sun and it's a recipe for reduction. I would suggest increasing your FC slightly above your target by about 2 ppm for now. Also consider increasing FC slight just before a pool party and certainly right after to attack organics quickly.

- It is usually best to test your levels in the evening so you know how much FC was burnt-off during the day, and so that any bleach you add will work more efficiently after the sun goes down.

- Now that your SLAM is done, and your CYA is 35, you may consider monitoring how much FC you lose on a normal day. If it seems excessive and your CC are still zero, you may need to increase your CYA slightly to 40 to protect that FC (chlorine).

- Yes, any CC tested at =< 0.5 is considered zero. So don't worry too much about it. But if you ever notice it going above .5, now you know what to do.

Hope that addresses you questions. Keep watching for more replies. Everyone's experience here helps to give you the best answer. Enjoy your day!

Consider your CYA to be 40, the scale is logarithmic. Check the Chlorine CYA Chart.
Min is 3, never let it drop below 3, not even for a minute
Target is 5, keep it there or higher as much a possible
Shock is 16, this is your SLAM level, it is safe to swim up to shock level

Day to day keep FC at 5-6. When you are going to have 8 people swimming for hours, hopefully every day, raise FC up to 10ish before swimming. Test after swimmjng and raise it to 10ish again. Test again 1-3 hours later and raise it to 10 again. This will clear up all the swimmer waste and keep you ready for the next day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.