No AC Power to Intermatic Timer

TheBigEFerree

In The Industry
Feb 11, 2024
Houston Tx
I replaced an Intermatic timer motor for friend who is on hard times.. Testing 120 to ground on each leg but nothing between both at the breaker or timer. I just didn’t want to replace anything extra if I didn’t have to because it’s coming out of my pocket lol. If you end up seeing this, let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Big,

You simply have lost either L1 or L2 inputs to make 240.. Measuring 240 requires that you measure between the two hot inputs (L1 and L2). As you have found out, measuring L1 to ground and L2 to ground can give you a false reading...

Either you have an open connection or the circuit breaker feeding your timer is bad..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
Interesting.

Verify you have 240 across the incoming lines at the main bus bars of this panel.
If no 240, you have lost a leg. If this is a sub panel, check feeding breaker in the main panel.

If yes, the breaker is bad, replace.
The reason you have 120 from each leg to ground but not 240 when checking across the 2 lines is because the current on one side is back feeding through the timer back to the breaker.

One last item to consider. Was the breaker moved in the panel. In some panels not all spaces support double pole breakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.