Newly lined Pool, filled and sat without chemicals for weeks, what now?

DaveEvansNY

Jun 18, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey Everyone! Looking for some recommendations. I'm a BBB method advocate and it has treated me well the past 4 years. I got my pool relined about 4 weeks ago, filled immediately, but didn't hook up my filter or add any chemicals. Now its green and gross and I'm getting ready to bring it online. So it has 0 clorine, 0 CYA and it's murky enough where I don't even want to check the PH/ALK yet. What would you recommend I do and in what order? TIA! Above ground 6500 gal, vinyl.

Was more curious if I should add CYA first?
Slam needs 30 CYA. How are you testing? What's the result ?
I hate the granular, should I try to find liquid?
1 gallon of liquid is 57 CYA for you. It's nearly impossible to dose less than a full jug with the bulk of the goods clumped up on the bottom. So you'll undershoot a few times with mostly water and then overshoot by a mile. But up to you. :)

Interesting, I've never used liquid, assumed it was liquid. Sounds similar to when I pre-mix granular in a bucket and it clumps up on the bottom! lol. I'll stick with granular. I guess I'll test the murk, thought I'd hit it with chlorine first. Will report back on test results. I use Taylor K-2006

Reactions: Newdude
Sounds similar to when I pre-mix granular in a bucket and it clumps up on the bottom
Winner winner chicken dinner. :)

Except the gallon jug 'bucket' has 57 CYA in it for you. How do you accurately get about half of it out ?

Also, always a possibility with green pools opening with 0 CYA and FC. Test as directed before adding CYA as ammonia will turn the CYA into more ammonia, which requires even more chlorine to remove.

Well, I have
Winner winner chicken dinner. :)

Except the gallon jug 'bucket' has 57 CYA in it for you. How do you accurately get about half of it out ?

Also, always a possibility with green pools opening with 0 CYA and FC. Test as directed before adding CYA as ammonia will turn the CYA into more ammonia, which requires even more chlorine to remove.

Well, I have 0 CYA because I had my pool relined 4 weeks ago, and didn't have time to "open" pool (add chemicals, attach filter etc).

Here are my results, just tested:

FC-0
CC-0
PH- Yellow lol (Sub 7)
TA-20
CH-20
CYA-0

It's bleak. Any advice on order of chemicals is much appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA can soak regardless of the other adds. Just do so away from it. :)
I don't follow. Soak? Away from the Baking soda? I cast the baking soda. I've never been sure how to add stabilizer. I've done it directly in skimmer, but with a cartridge filter, I feel like i'll be washing it away. I'm probably gonna be switching/cleaning filters twice a day for a bit to get everything out.

I've never been sure how to add stabilizer.
Hang granular CYA in a sock (etc), carrot on a stick like, in front of a working return. It will squeeze out after some time. Pour LC or MA somewhere else if needed, like another return.

Baking soda can be cast in the pool during the process.

Hang granular CYA in a sock (etc), carrot on a stick like, in front of a working return. It will squeeze out after some time. Pour LC or MA somewhere else if needed, like another return.

I see, I'll try the sock method. Only one return line though, so I'll just make sure to do other additions it further downstream.

Here's my latest readings from just now:

FC -1
PH 8
TA-60
CH-20
CYA- Practically 0 (didn't have but 8 oz on hand, going to buy more now)

Should I raise my TA more before tackling bringing down PH?

Pool is starting to look a bit better. Can see blue now, the murk is clearing.

Here's my latest readings from just now:
Sorry for the delay. Was doing yardwork all afternoon. :)

Should I raise my TA more before tackling bringing down PH?
Yes. Normally we let 60 TA ride, but you're going to turn around and lower the PH which then may take the TA down too. Bring the TA to 70 or 80 for some wiggle room and then knock the PH to a low 7

Sorry for the delay. Was doing yardwork all afternoon. :)

Yes. Normally we let 60 TA ride, but you're going to turn around and lower the PH which then may take the TA down too. Bring the TA to 70 or 80 for some wiggle room and then knock the PH to a low 7
Today:

FC-7
CC-0
PH-7.4
TA-70
CH-150
CYA ~32

Added 85 OZ 6% bleach to try to get it back up to 13 for continued SLAMMING

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.