Newby with pool problem!

Hey Molly and Welcome !!!

It's called white water mold and it's a common side effect of Baquacil. When you're ready to convert, we'll happily help. :)

Reactions: mickey4paws
As someone who used to be on Baquacil, once white water mold starts it will only get worse and cost lots of $ trying to fight it. You can do what you want, but once I converted to chlorine and followed the information on this site, I have always had crystal clear water at a fraction of the cost of Baquacil.

Reactions: mickey4paws
once white water mold starts it will only get worse
This is simply NOT true if you find a solution that works to get rid of it. I don't see it at all anymore since starting to use Ahhsome once a month and Baquacil Line Clean (MPS) every week. Water is usually very clear. Is it "TFP" clear? Probably not, but I really don't care if it is or not. I've deliberately been brushing the pool this summer with a wire brush, which used to always bring up gobs of the stuff. I don't see it anymore. The other thing is, if using DE grids, to keep them super clean in between filter cycles. The answer to that is to scrub them with acid magic. I don't even use filter cleaner anymore to soak them in. Doesn't seem to be a need to. A commonly reported problem with baqua is short filter cycles. I went through that the last 2 seasons and it drove me crazy. Sometimes was backwashing every week or less. Using acid magic gets rid of that problem also. Can't speak for sand filters. My friend, who uses sand with baqua and has for the past 23 years, has never had an issue with white water mold. Sand is supposed to work better with baqua than DE.

Last edited:
at a fraction of the cost of Baquacil.
I can't argue this point. Baqua is surely way more expensive than chlorine. Some of what I read here is people having trouble with SLAM and having to add large amounts of chlorine. Same for conversions UNLESS you plan to drain the water. At most I only test my water once a week and often not even that. Baquacil sanitizer, while admittedly not as good as chlorine, is also much more durable and long-lasting in the water. I only have to top off the recommended level every few weeks. For my 12,500 gallons, I put in 2 quarts of oxidizer once a week, along with 6 oz. of Line Clean. Occasional algicide. That's it. I've hardly even used any CDX this summer. It's my contention that you really don't need that stuff if using an additional oxidizer, which is why I use MPS. IF only using the baquacil chemicals, however, (with DE filtration), look out. Be ready to battle LOTS of mold and slime. I know, having battled that stuff for probably 15-20 years to varying degrees. But, even with all that said, to say the mold "only gets worse" has never been my experience. The hydrogen peroxide oxidization, alone, however, is not enough to combat those various biofilms. I'd argue that with the bioguard lab people any day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.