Newbies to Pool Life: Designing Our New Pool Build in Maryland and Need HELP

Btimm

Apr 29, 2023
Maryland
Hi all. We’re just getting started on designing our new in ground pool. We received quotes for vinyl liner, fiberglass, and concrete. We have decided on concrete (I think 🤔) and I have a few questions.
- White plaster is the base material, who has this and are you happy with the way it looks and feels? The color of the water isn’t a huge deal to me, I just don’t want rough material that scrapes my skin or ruins my swim suit.
- we will not have a diving board (ER nurse for years here so diving is a NOPE for me) so I’m wondering if a depth of 6ft or 6.5ft is best for the deep end? I want to be able to do cannon balls into the pool with ease lol
- I want bench seating in the deep end, which can also be used as a way to get out of the pool. The bench size quoted was 6ft in length. Does this seem like a decent size for seating and as a way out of the pool?
- I’m trying to decide if I should extend the second step of the stairs leading into the shallow end of the pool, as another bench. Does anyone have seating in their shallow end? And if so, do you feel it was worth the cost of adding it? We will not be having any tanning ledges because I don’t want to eat up swimming/playing space.
Our pool is going to be used for family time with our daughter (she’s 7) and frequently with friends.
Thank you for any and all advice you can offer!!
Bri

Marcite type plaster will be the smoothest of pool finishes with out going to a polished finish. The look and feel will depend on the quality of the finish crews work. If you go with a white pigment the water will be lightly blue from the reflection of the sky.
Deep end depth is a hard estimate to make without knowing other factors such as are there any raised areas around the pool to jump from? 6 to 7 feet seem to be an average depth pool for all around use.
With out a drawing of the pool it’s hard to advise on a bench length and how many people would be sitting at one time?
The seating on the second step is hard to picture without knowing the layout of the pool and typically the cost is minimal during the initial construction phase.

Reactions: Btimm and kimkats
Bri,

In most old pools you have a shallow end and a deep end.

Another option is called a sports pool, where you have shallow depth at both ends with the deep section in the middle. This allows for volleyball or other sports. Something 4' - 6' - 4', For me it is the better option..

Just something to think about.

I love the look of standard white plaster pool... but I love the durability of the pebble finishes.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Btimm
Thank you all so much for the advice. I have attached two pictures of what one company proposed. The bench in the deep end is extended to 12ft instead of 6 in this draft. In both angles you should be able to see both benches.

Attachments

• IMG_5514.jpeg
    IMG_5514.jpeg
    632.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5515.jpeg
    IMG_5515.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: PoolMama0210
Bri,

In most old pools you have a shallow end and a deep end.

Another option is called a sports pool, where you have shallow depth at both ends with the deep section in the middle. This allows for volleyball or other sports. Something 4' - 6' - 4', For me it is the better option..

Just something to think about.

I love the look of standard white plaster pool... but I love the durability of the pebble finishes.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I’m a fan of the old school deep end/shallow end but that is a great suggestion and probably perfect for those that enjoy water games like volley ball.

How tall are you and your spouse ? (if applicable)

Neither of you will likely touch bottom while still breathing at 6 ft, so you might as well go with a traditional deep end at that point. The depth doesn't mean people will *have* to dive in it. Just removing the diving board helps considerably.

Also, 6 ft deep is fine for cannonballs, so those work either way.

We were supposed to have a 6 ft bench and I extended it to 8 at the last minute and I'm SO glad I did. (I didn't even want it in the first place :ROFLMAO:). I can sit sideways with my legs down the bench and 2 people can sit side saddle on the other half.

Marcite type plaster will be the smoothest of pool finishes with out going to a polished finish. The look and feel will depend on the quality of the finish crews work. If you go with a white pigment the water will be lightly blue from the reflection of the sky.
Deep end depth is a hard estimate to make without knowing other factors such as are there any raised areas around the pool to jump from? 6 to 7 feet seem to be an average depth pool for all around use.
With out a drawing of the pool it’s hard to advise on a bench length and how many people would be sitting at one time?
The seating on the second step is hard to picture without knowing the layout of the pool and typically the cost is minimal during the initial construction pha
How tall are you and your spouse ? (if applicable)

Neither of you will likely touch bottom while still breathing at 6 ft, so you might as well go with a traditional deep end at that point. The depth doesn't mean people will *have* to dive in it. Just removing the diving board helps considerably.

Also, 6 ft deep is fine for cannonballs, so those work either way.

We were supposed to have a 6 ft bench and I extended it to 8 at the last minute and I'm SO glad I did. (I didn't even want it in the forst place :ROFLMAO:). I can sit sideways with my leggs down the bench and 2 people can sit side saddle on the other half.
I am 5”9 and my husband is 6”3 so we’re a little on the taller side. He’s indifferent to the depth of the deep end, I just want to do cannon balls so as you mentioned, 6ft should be good lol and thank you for your input on bench size. I’m thinking extending it 9ft or more might be the way to go.

Reactions: Newdude
Very different design! LOVE the slide! What fun that will be!

The only thing I don't see that many people look for is a "swim lane". That is a good, long lane you could swim from one wall to the other. Just something to think about as you move forward.

Reactions: Btimm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.