If your pump is on and you pour right in front of the pump and brush to help mix it in you can test as soon as you are done brushing.

You are on the right track! LOVE the hard work you have done and it is showing!

Kim:cat:

i did all that, i remembered the brushing from one of your older posts! The results today were PH 7.7, Fcl 8 Tc 8 no noticeable difference between colors, I still wait for my fds test, TA 190, TH330, The water is clear although the weather is overcast! I wish I knew how the chemistry worked! lol Anyway do I add more acid and aerate again? The whirlpool jets seem to really up the PH quite quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Ph was 7.6, finger error

roger that, I always brush as well. This morning PH 7.4 TA down to 170, new Chlorine test results 7.5 FCl and zero CC. It seems that 32 fl oz of muriatic acid reduces my PH by .4 and my TA by around 20 ppm. I have just added another 32 Fl of muriatic acid so am expecting 7.2 and 150. I will aerate back up to 7.4 ish and keep doing this until I get to 100 TA. Does that seem right or will I overload the pool. I have been doing one in the morning and one in the evening. I will also add Cl this evening to bring it up a bit!

yours

gvs

i am having no problem keeping my ph in bounds, but i keep having to add acid to reduce my alkalinity, I added another 32 oz yesterday and expected my Ta to reduce from 150 to 130 ish. Today ph 7.4, Fcl 9 CC zero, TA 160 and TH 275. Am I doing anything wrong or is this just the great big chemical soup taking its merry old time to adjust? I did add a little water yesterday. is the TA safe to bathe?

Hi all

yep my incoming water has a TA of 270!! I have just brought my FC back up to 8-9 from 4; I seem to be using about 2ppm per day in active sun, with heating and with bathers, we had a family weekend! The Ph was 8.0 plus and TA was 175 so have added acid to bring it down by around 20ppm and a ph of around 7.0. My Th was 300. There was a briefest flash of pink on the CC test and one drop of reagent cleared it immediately. Pool is sparkling and clear brushed after adding the acid and CL !

I will be away for 2 weeks and i wondered what options i have for maintenance while i am away, do i add tabs to the auto feeder and deal with the CYA increas when i get back ? If it is sunny while I am away my Cl will be gone in around 4 or 5 days. Do i 'shock' the pool and let it reduce naturally ? I know we dont use the word shock but raise it really high?

thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your CYA is still 70 it's your call. Pool math will tell you how much that will add, if it were me I'd do another drain before sticking pucks in there for 2 weeks.

It would be much better if you could have someone add bleach manually, even if it were every 2-3 days.

ok after 3 inches of rain the results were ph 7.8, TA 125, FC 6 CC zero. The pool was sparkling over the weekend but is a bit cloudy now but not bad, can i ask for some advice again please :)
I replaced my burnt out spa light so turned off the pumps and let it drain down until i had a dry area ( the person who fitted it didn't leave much leeway so it has to go on the step). I finished and turned on the pump and used the hose to help prime the pump inlet which all went well. However I forgot to turn off the waste inlet into the DE filter and i think some of that drained back into the pool. Do I have a huge issue, or no issue, is that even possible? The DE filter is currently pressurized to 4 psi and I think it was higher than that when I turned off the pump. Did I make a school boy error?

ok well I turned the pump off Backwashed until clear, rinsed until clear then put it back to filter and it all seems to be working but the pressure gauge only shows 2psi the water doesn't look as if it is being filtered although i have water coming out of all the oulets and the polaris is working fine. The pool has taken on a cloudy slightly greenish tinge but there are no Cloramines or CC. I have upped the FC to 12 but this all seemed to start with 3 inches of rain we had? The rain btw was ph 7.2 and less than 25ppm alkali. I kept the filter on all night but it doesnt really seem to have touched the cloudyness?? At a bit of a loss

pool may12.jpgpressure.jpg

Ok managed to work out how to attach the pictures doooh! Could it be that I may need to add DE? Everything was working great until Tuesday? so maybe not PH7.4 TA 125, FCl 14 CC zero?

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed that i need to change my filter medium in my ozone generator whats the view ?

Hi Garry. Sorry we've missed some of your updates. I don't like the sounds of green coming back. Rain or not (I got my share) our water should be able to hold its own. So let's review some basics now that you've been at this for a while:
- First, use whatever sunlight is left to verify your CYA. We're getting clouds again, so if it's not bright enough now, try again tomorrow. You have done a tremendous job working on that CYA, but you've also been doing quite a few backwashes, so double-check the CYA.
- Once you have the CYA, go to the matching FC SLAM level for that CYA based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). (i.e. CYA of 80 = SLAM FC of 31).
- Your grids must remain coated with DE. Often times when you backwash you'll need to do a partial recharge of DE. Make sure to do that and keep an eye on the rising pressure as the filter tries to catch the dead algae.
- Review the SLAM page (link below) daily as a reminder of things to check or do each day.

If your CYA and FC match as noted on the chart, algae won't be able to grow or live in that chlorine-filled water. Make sure you also checked everything in the pool that could hide algae as applicable (behind a light, ladder, robot, etc). There's really no need for ozone assistance since the sun's UV will provide all the ozone/oxidation your pool needs to burn-off those combined chlorines (CC). Hang in there Garry.

so shocked the pool with 300 oz of 10% Cl bleach, pump will be running overnight PH was 7.2-7.4. I will check CYA again tomorrow, didnt have time this evening, just checked 21.50hrs FC is 33 CC zero, pressure is up to around 4 psi. I will check the OCLT first thing tomorrow morning and if necessary continue with the shock. I will also get some DE for my sand filter and more bleach tomorrow I have about 6 galls left. The only thing I can think of in addition to the rain was that I changed the spa lamp but the cavity is water filled and was exposed by me for several days to normal cleansing (i left the light out) The robot stays in the pool (is that wrong) so i presume it is sanitized? Cant think of anything I have done especially as the pool was sparkling all over the weekend? Could I have a phosphate problem with run off following the storm?? thanks for the help I am getting there slowly. emphasis on slowly I know :)

Good morning Garry. Once you are able to validate CYA today (sunlight permitting), your biggest obstacle will always be maintaining the SLAM FC consistently throughout the day. Your robot should be fine in the water, and I wouldn't worry about phosphates. I also doubt your spa light had anything to do with your algae. There simply needs to be consistent chlorination available to kill the algae and prevent its return. After our last few heavy rains, my waterline got high more than once to where I had to drain water, but it never changed color. In fact, the levels barely changed other than lowering my CYA and CH a bit which was great. FC and pH didn't hardly move. But every pool is different. Keep the bleach handy and continue to do all the normal SLAM things each day. It will work. Have a nice day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.