Newbie with test results UPDATED with all tests

DPD Kit arrived today so i will check all levels again tonight, adjust the PH, wait an hour, then shock the heck out that bad boy. :D

Tested last night and got this:

FC: 6
PH: 7.6
TA: 110
CH: 230
CYA: 40 (from test over weekend)

Raised FC to 10 after lowering PH to 7.4.

On a side note, i have just been getting this yellowing in my hot tub area. i attached two pics, one of underneath a return (2-3 look like this) and a spot along where the flagstone overflow meets the plaster. there are also yellowish streaks/spots on the wall running down from the overflow spot to the returns with the stains. any ideas? Pool was re plastered in February/earl march, but we brushed all the time to make sure and get rid of the plaster dust so i don't think that's it. Only been able to shock to 10, but will going to my shock level (15) help with these or do i need to warm up the water a little and get in and scrub by hand?

Not seeing this anywhere in the pool. This same kind of staining occurred all over before we re plastered, but i wasn't taking care of the water the BBB way then, but i was checking it every week. Attached a picture of the pool area for reference.

dsc02037c.jpg

dsc02033vo.jpg

dsc02034a.jpg

OK, so i go the vitamin c pills at the drugstore, scratched them over the stains and the definitely fades. I am in the middle of shocking my pool and it looks like I'm almost there. I think I should finish shocking tomorrow. Is it wise to lower my FC back to 0 or 1 right after shocking to do this process to get the metal stains out? I also have new plaster as of late February, does that matter? Thanks for your help or a point in the right direction!

frustratedpoolmom said:
If the areas are small, perhaps you can spot treat them with the AA rather than treat the whole pool...
you probably don't want to attempt 0 FC so soon after shocking.

OK, I'll try that. What is the best way to spot treat?

Yes, they seem to be limited so far to those areas in the picture: Where each of the flagstone rocks in the waterfall meet underwater, and under the returns in the spa. Haven't noticed it yet in the pool, but it also hasn't been warm enough to get it quite yet! I'll pick up some Absorbic Acid and give it a shot.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Not sure - maybe put some AA in a sock and rub it over the stains... you should pick up some sequesterant - Jack's magic for plaster would be a good one. That will help prevent stains from redepositing.

OK i think i saw somewhere to try and tuen the filter off and leave the sock on the stain for 20-30 min so maybe i'll try that. Will the sequesterant be something i have to continuosly add or just while using the acid?

This the Jack Magic you were talking about? there are quite a few:

http://www.jacksmagic.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=63

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the "blue" stuff is the right choice since your plaster is newer. :)
Its tough to say. Usually when the stains are all over the pool we say use maintenance doses of sequesterant long term -but since yours are minimal and confined to small areas I'm not 100% certain it's necesary.
It could be one of those situations where if you get rid of the stain, and then see them start to come back, immediately add sequesterant, and the stains should lift again - and then whenever you see the stains just use more sequesterant. So it could be a maintenance thing or it could be they go away and you don't hae to worry about them....not sure. Hopefully the latter. :)

frustratedpoolmom said:
I think the "blue" stuff is the right choice since your plaster is newer. :)
Its tough to say. Usually when the stains are all over the pool we say use maintenance doses of sequesterant long term -but since yours are minimal and confined to small areas I'm not 100% certain it's necesary.
It could be one of those situations where if you get rid of the stain, and then see them start to come back, immediately add sequesterant, and the stains should lift again - and then whenever you see the stains just use more sequesterant. So it could be a maintenance thing or it could be they go away and you don't hae to worry about them....not sure. Hopefully the latter. :)

So even though I am spot treating with the acid, should I still add the recommended level of sequesterant? I only picked up one bottle and my pool would require 1.5-2 bottles for my 21500 gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.