Newbie With Concerns - Leslie's Free Testing

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement...I am determined to get this water perfect, my kids will appreciate it when it warms up and that kind of reward is PRICELESS!

Anyhow, here is the update for today...

Day 2 With New Test Kit
FC - 6.6
CH - 260
CYA - 50
TA - 150
pH - 7.6

Action To Be Taken - Looks like I am going to add 102 ounces of MA & aerate until my pH climbs again so that I can dose with acid again. Rinse & repeat until I get my TA down to a more normal level. I'll use the sheer descents for the aeration process, they make plenty of nice, small bubbles.

I do have a question with respect to CYA...

I get the impression that certain areas of the country sort of settle on differing CYA levels based on sun exposure, air temperature, and length of hot season...is this correct? I ask because where I live, it gets hot and stays hot for a number of months with the peak usually in August where we will typically have a run of 110 degree days. Obviously the run-up and downhill slopes make the heat seem to last forever...with temps usually dropping into the 80's by late October. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable increasing my CYA to anything above 60 PPM given my bad experiences with elevated CYA.

I am in Sacramento so I have similar weather. 50CYA is nice place to be for a liquid chlorine pool. I would stay below 60CYA

You could even use a floater while you are vacation, if you can't get a reliable pool maintainer. Use the Pool Math to see how much solid CYA you could use before getting to 60. This would be the maximum amount you would want to use during your trip. I did a week last year using this trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.