Newbie trying to clean up a swamp and have some questions.

The Mermaid Queen said:
Try to test and keep your FC up as often as possible. With that green swamp, the chlorine is going to be used really quickly!

Your backyard will look great once your get the pool clear! nice landscaping on the back side!

Thanks, we actually had to move one of those Italian Cypresses because we noticed that it would probably interfere with the booster pump plumbing when we were repairing the hose to the cleaner.

We've been keeping the FC between a minimum of 10ppm up to 18ppm a couple of times. I've already gone through almost all of the FAS/DPD solution from the TF test kit within three days. Just ordered a couple of refills.

The CYA is still low at <20ppm even after I added more instant stabilizer. At this point I've added 2 gallons of instant stabilizer and I can still see the dot at the 20ppm graduation. I didn't have anymore instant stabilizer so I added a quart of dry stabilizer in a sock to the skimmer, hopefully that helps get the CYA levels up.

TA was down to 70, I added 3 quarts of baking soda after testing.

CC 0
CH 190
pH 7.5

Here are a couple of updated shots. (Can't find the battery pack for my digital camera so the phone camera will have to suffice)

Attachments

• day3_2.jpg
    day3_2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2
  • day3.jpg
    day3.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 2
The pool is completely clear as of this morning :) Pretty amazing how much it changed in 5 days.

The filter also made it overnight without a noticeable pressure increase.

Now we just need to wait for the FC levels to drop, it was 18 at noon today. I'm hoping that it is down to below shock level by Friday since the forecast high is 90F and I took a vacation day.

CC is 0

pH is 7.2, but I understand that the pH test is showing a higher value due to the high FC level. Will need to retest once the FC drops a bit, based on my ~20 CYA levels I don't think it will take long.

TA is 80, I added 6 lbs of baking soda to increase the TA and hopefully help the pH along.

If the FC is not less than 10 by Friday and people want to swim should I just add some instant stabilizer to limit the effect of the FC by raising the shock level?

Attachments

• day5.jpg
    day5.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2
As FPM said, your FC will likely be down anyway but, with a CYA of 30, an FC of 20 is roughly the equivalent of an FC of 2 without any CYA (not far from city drinking water)

In other words, your pool is safe to swim in now, IMO. Those numbers aren't precise....chemgeek has published more accurate numbers but I am not off by too far...........and I am very comfortable saying it's swimable. :lol:

duraleigh said:
As FPM said, your FC will likely be down anyway but, with a CYA of 30, an FC of 20 is roughly the equivalent of an FC of 2 without any CYA (not far from city drinking water)

In other words, your pool is safe to swim in now, IMO. Those numbers aren't precise....chemgeek has published more accurate numbers but I am not off by too far...........and I am very comfortable saying it's swimable. :lol:

Great, that's reassuring.

The FC was down to 15ppm about a half hour ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.