Newbie to pool ownership and hoping to fly DIY soon

the few days that the pool was less than 12 didnt stop the slam... many people dont wake up during the night to check and dose (some do but most dont) the day you werent able to do anything did set you back a little.. but likely only a day... the raise in CYA was possibly because after your first cya test you did mention you put tabs in the skimmer and threw in a bag of shock... it can take a while for tabs to dissolve and read on a test... so use 40 as your cya and maintain that 16... it takes patience but it will clear up... my pool looked like a nice cup of black coffee before i started this summer but it doesnt anymore

With CYA/stabilizer including the CYA in the chlorinating tablets can take up to a week to register on a CYA test. It may have still be from using tablets ??
CYA is always a difficult test for me and it also might be what level you were holding the sample and how bright the sun was. Have you seen the video - > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs&list=UUNFkPFCkt9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g

You really don't need to change sand, sorry. It is a very good idea to deep clean the sand but the sand doesn't wear out. How to - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

The folks who sell the really nice TF-100 test kits also sell gauges next time you're in need. It just screws out and you put some teflon tape or a dab of pipe dope on the threads and screw the new one in. http://tftestkits.net/Pressure-Gauge-Glycerin-filled-2-5-Bottom-Mount-p77.html
How to - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhqNbs5xYJc

If your clean pressure, the pressure of the filter after a through backwash is 12psi then you should let it go till it hits 20-25% more (15psi) before backwashing. If you backwash too often, before you hit your pressure the sand filter can actually be less efficient. Letting it collect some debris and pressure it's actually plugging up a bit and catching smaller particles.

As for your SLAM starting over, not really. There is a certain amount of waste in letting the FC drop. If it drops some then the chlorine isn't strong enough to kill, only keep the algae in check. If it drops enough than it does allow the algae to start to reproduce again. The more consistent you are at holding the FC up at the SLAM level the faster your SLAM will be and the less overall bleach $$$ you'll use doing it. That is why everyone stresses the "M" in SLAM as it's MAINTAINING that FC level to kill algae.

One thing you can try on the weekends or when you are around to monitor pressure is adding DE powder to your filter to make it more efficient and catch smaller particles. The trade off is the filter can get plugged up quickly so you need to keep an eye on it to see how yours goes. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

How about a picture of the water ?? A photo taken at the middle of the steps looking down helps us figure out the clarity and distance using the steps as a reference.

Thanks for all the patient guidance. Big thanks for pointing out the last desperate toss in of granular shock took awhile to raise my CYA. We have been holding it at 16 FC and the last two days show BIG improvement in clarity and color. I took some pics but between the fading light and shadows from the cathedral of trees, they really didn't show the clarity I could see. Not to mention I am somewhat of a Luddite so haven't figured out how to upload the pix. But, things are so promising today that we are doing our first OCLT tonight! When we got home from work (6pm) we were at 15.5 FC (.5 under our goal of 16). I brushed, skimmed, put it on Polaris and in prep for our OCLT just added a half gallon of 8.25 bleach. The plan is to test it in a couple of hours for our baseline on the OCLT.
Question: is two hours enough for the FC to register accurately? Right before this evening's bleach dump I put the Polaris on standby and put the valves on "normal pool operation".
Thank you all, you guys are AWESOME and I know we are super close to our TF pool. Cheers!:cool::cool:
Although we are afraid of counting our swimming days before they start, scared to jinx it!!!!

Thought I lost you telling you that you didn't need to change the sand :shock:

With the pump circulating you should be able to test your additions (bleach, acid, ... in 30 minutes. If you want you could give it 45 or 60 but in general 30 minutes and it should be mixed enough that you will get an accurate test result (except CYA which can take a week).

If you can see the bottom of the deep end it's safe to swim up to shock level. The reason for that is in case someone gets in trouble you would be able to see them down there. There isn't any reason you can't jump in and enjoy your almost perfect water now. :swim:

You had me at no sand change, LOL. Okay we are at 18.5 two hours after dumping .5 gallon. I was really excited until we did the CC, which landed us @1.0 :|
So I guess we won't be there completely until CC is .5 but maybe that will happen?
Could our CC improve when we do our OCLT tomorrow?
Thanks for the patient tutoring I feel hopeful from all the guidance and support ---you folks ROCK!:rockon:

Update:
This am the FC was 18, so we passed OCLT as we lost just .5
Pool is blue and oh so clear!
CC went UP from last night's 1.0 to 1.5 this am
So the third leg of the TF pool is not quite steady. Do we need to maintain shock? What will get us to the desired .5?
But we can now swim in it from what kiss4afrog says, so that is pretty grand.

Maybe it was covered but you need to make sure if you have a ladder that you pull it and clean it well. Especially the bottom of the steps. The part you can't see when it's in the pool. If you have a pool light you need to pull it and make sure it and the niche it fits into is clean. Lastly check the backs of the doors of the skimmers and inside the skimmer to see if anything green is hiding in there.

Hopefully with a high FC and the pump running and filtering all day, tonight will be the night !! Not that, :roll: I'm talking about passing the OCLT again and getting the CC down under .5
You need to keep the FC up to burn off whatever organic material is creating the excessive CC level.
You need to do all three at the same time, clear water, OCLT and CC under .5 then you can let it drift down and start to enjoy your water instead of working it !!

Safe to swim :google: https://www.google.com/#q=what+chlorine+level+is+safe+to+swim+in

I see, thank you. We don't have a ladder but I need to check the skimmer doors and deal with the light. That part I had read but could not conceive of doing as it means getting in the pool and then how do you pop it out??? Is there danger of electrocution (ie must I kill juice to the pool first? Kinda terrified :shaking:

You should be able to do it from the deck, leaning over with only your hands in the water. I'd kill the power but it's supposed to be isolated or you'd fry yourself in the pool so you don't really need to worry about it and with the breaker off you're golden. Good time to consider an LED upgrade if you don't have it yet ;)
The video has the guy in the pool but it can be done laying on your stomach.

Here is a show and tell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTO-wYmhpVU

Thank you, Kiss!
We did the light--yuck green stuff behind the fixture itself and in the hole it sits in. Also went deep into the skimmers and found a fairly thick layer of green junk. AND managed to not get electrocuted, which was sweet!:shock:
Dumped some bleach, tested just now and FC is 21, CC is .5 so now for tonight's OCLT. Hopefully we pass just in time for the weekend!!!!
Thanks for all the help, Kiss and everybody else who kindly gave wisdom :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any chance you have any before and after pictures of the slime and the slime removed ?? Glad you found the green stuff. That should be added to the Pool School SLAM info.

All I know is every time I use my body for a wire in a circuit I swear the next time I'll turn off the breaker before working on it.
All you need to remember is when building your floating bar in the pool to keep all the extension cords and outlets above water level any way you can. We don't need no stinking GFIs !!

Attachments

• electrical.jpg
    electrical.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 51
LOL I love living dangerously like those guys!!!
So last night before bed we were FC 21 and CC .5
This am we went down to 17.5 FC (flunking OCLT) and CC was 1.0 (boo):grrrr::grrrr::grrrr:
BUT--pool is still blue and sparkly so I attribute both scores to is cleaning out the light fixture and skimmer walls, so hope remains strong for a trifecta pass very soon. :D
Sorry no pics--I just took several but I am spoiled by Facebook's ease of uploading from my iPad. The directions were a bit lengthy for Friday at happy hour :cheers:
Thanks for all the support and well wishes and will get pix up eventually. Happy weekend folks!!!!:lovetfp:

Last edited:
:party::bump::bowdown::cheers:
Hey all you beautiful TFPers, whelp we finally passed all three tests this morning!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the kind folk who posted wisdom and support. You guys RAWK!!!!!!!
I am still kinda addicted to the need to brush daily but I am taking the night off and I guess at some point I can brush weekly and as needed. Can I just do the easy daily chlorine Ph test kit and start my weekly tests this weekend?
Thanks Guys!!!!!!!:rockon::paddle::lovetfp:

P.s. Also just became an official supporter :punkrock:

Last edited:
First weekly test post SLAM
FC 1.5
CC .5
CH 275
TA 100
CYA <20----black dot never completed disappeared

So added bleach and now I need to add stabilizer to bring up my CYA. Can I use my trichlor tabs? I bought a huge bucket of them prior to joining TFP and realize they are not something to use on a regular basis due to their raising CYA. But since I need to anyway??? No harm no foul? :confused:

You can use your pucks BUT make sure to know how they affect the numbers. They can/will last forever if you put them in a dry area. You can save them for weekend trips and such.

You need to test your FC everyday. Your PH will not change once you get everything level and steady. After a while you will be able to tell what your numbers will be BEFORE You test just by looking at the water!

You have done a great job learning how to take control of your pool! Happy swimming!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.