NEWBIE - Run all TF 100 Tests Now?

Re: Run all TF 100 Tests Now?

I am panicked. I just dropped the sub pump into the pool to complete the partial drain. my K1000 kit indicates no chlorine. how the heck do i know how much to add during a partial drain? Do I use liguid chlorine? I have grave concerns about getting algae - which i have never had before.

Stay calm, take deep slow breaths and relax.

If you have the circulation pump running, or when the water is filled back up enough to get the circulation pump running, add about 2 gallons of 6% bleach (pour slowly in front of a return jet). This evening add another gallon or so of 6% bleach. If the water turns cloudy or murky you will want to add more bleach than that, but I believe you will be fine.

The sticks are too slow to get enough chlorine into the pool right away. They also add yet more CYA. I suggest you stop using the sticks.

Thank heavens you responded. OK, I am calm, but I have horrible visions of my pool turning green/blue/black right before my eyes. I am going out for bleach shortly (YEEHA!). You mentioned if the water turns murky, to add MORE bleach? How do I know how much more to add? You also mentioned adding the bleach in front of the inlet. My large inlet is set just underneath the skimmer, so if i pour in front of the inlet, it will also go into the skimmer, I am assuming. Is this a problem? Also, once my water volume is back, should i re-test and post the new results? When will it be safe for my grandbabies to swim? I am sooooooo nervous about all this stuff and my mind is just jumping from one scenario to the next.

There are two ways to add bleach. One is to pour it into the pool in front of a return jet. The other is to pour directly into the skimmer. I prefer the return jet approach, but if there is any issue with that, you can use the skimmer. In either case pour slowly. The goal is to prevent the bleach from pooling on the bottom. The return jet and the skimmer will both mix the bleach in quickly enough that it can't pool on the bottom.

If the water starts to get cloudy or murky I would add a total of about seven gallons of 6% bleach today, including any you add before it turns cloudy/murky, and then see how the water looks tomorrow. It takes many hours for algae to get going starting from clear water. Adding some bleach today as I described previously, really ought to prevent any problems.

If you do any substantial amount of water replacement today, it would be good to get a new full set of water test results. What needs to be done tomorrow depends on how much water you replace and where the levels end up.

I now have my pool level back to where it should be and have added two gallons of bleach (YEEHA!). Water has been circulating for approximately 2 hrs now and it is cloudy. You mentioned adding a total of 7 gallons if i get cloudy/murky water. Should I go ahead and start adding it, and if so, how much at a time? Is the pool swimmable today? Should I go ahead and do another test with my TF 100 now or wait until all bleach has been added? I am getting there!!!

I just completed my new test for today:
FC 2.0
CC .5
TC 2.5
pH 7.5
T/A 240
CH 290
CYA 70

My numbers have improved, but I am upset about the CYA reading. My yard greatly appreciates the big watering it got yesterday and during the night last night, though. I also find that if you stare at that black dot, it moves around on you! LOL. I don't know how "obliterated" that black dot shoud be before taking a reading. I did it twice. I also used the calculator and it is telling me to add another gal of bleach, 15 oz of soda OR 31oz of borax. Unsure of the calcium chloride as I used the high side of the recommended levels for my goal when I entered the CH. What would my goal actually be for CH? Calculator also asking me to replace more of my water - sob sob. Where to go from here?
Is the pool swimmable this afternoon? My granchildren have already called and I don't really have an answer for them.

You want to do the CYA test so the black dot completely vanishes, not kind of gone, completely gone. It does take some experimentation to figure out what that looks like.

Your FC level is too low if your CYA is really 70. At a CYA of 70 you never want FC to fall below 5. It seems likely that your CYA level is actually a little lower than 70, but even then you should raise the FC level.

If your TA number is right, your TA is way to high. Read this article on lowering TA.

Don't add any CH. With a vinyl liner the only risk is from high CH levels. With your high TA level, you are close to having too much CH. Once TA comes down some you will be fine where you are.

If the water is clear, just bring FC up to around 7 and swim. Then work on getting a more precise CYA reading and lowering your TA level as you have time.

For the CYA test, don't "stare at" or "look for" the dot or your eyes will tend to "see" it no matter what. I've found a quick, glancing look is best.

With a CYA of 70, your FC should be 5-10 ppm, I would add about 1 1/2 gal. of 6% bleach to bring your FC up to 7-8 ppm.

Your pH is good, do not add borax or soda.

Your CH is fine where it is, and your pool is absolutely swimmable, ENJOY IT!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

thanks for the taylor website. I think I was in between the mid and end test on my readings. I only added one drop at a time, so eventually, i was seeing a black dot regardless! and like I said before, eventually, the dot started dancing a jig! Tee Hee. Everyone has been a big help to me, and it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to joyce, i think i am getting a better handle on accurately reading the CYA test - black dot. I have re-tested this morning in preparation of lowering my TA:
FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 2.0
pH 7.5
T/A 240
CH 290
CYA 50

I know my T/A is too high and I have bought the muriatic acid to work on it. I also know my FC is low and the caluculator has given the amt of bleach to add to raise it (approx 1.5 gals).

I have read waterbear's article about lowering TA which is excellent. She talked about aeration, which can be used to raise my pH (after lowering my TA). I looked at attachments for types of aeration, but none seemed to fit my pool configuration. I am alo "winging it" so to speak.

I have attached a pic of what I did to get more aeration into my pool water, since my pool is not heavily used. My pool skimmer includes a trichlor compartment that i USED to fill with tablets. There is also a small water hose that runs from somewhere in the inlet, injecting pool water thru the trichlor compartment to wash over the tablets, then discharging out the side of the compartment and down into the skimmer to be circulated. Since i am now a BBB user, I disconnected the hose from the compartment, aimed it out the skimmer and into my pool (using duct tape), creating a small fountain. Do you think it is enough to be of any help to me?

Next question: I used the WONDERFUL calculator, and it is telling me I will need to add approx 60oz of muriatic acid to lower my PH to 7.2, which I believe should be my goal, since I have a vinyl liner?

Is it safe to assume I add my chemicals based on the order the tests are in on the calculator? for example, FC first, PH next, TA, CH, etc? Based on that theory, I would add my bleach first, then move on to the acid?

Last but not least - I am absolutey afraid to even open the bottle of muriatic acid. I need advice.

My pool water is clear as a bell and sparkles.

Attachments

• fountain1.JPG
    fountain1.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 76
  • trichlor comptmt.JPG
    trichlor comptmt.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 76
Your little fountain looks cool! It will help aerate, but not as much as a much larger fountain.

Most of the time you can add chemicals in any order. The major exceptions are: Don't raise CH on the same day you raise PH or TA. TA tends to change the PH, so if you need to adjust both at once it is better to adjust TA first.

You can lower PH down to 7.0 with a vinyl liner, but you want to be sure not to go lower than that. Generally it is safer to aim for 7.2 so even if you go a little too far you are still at 7.0 or higher.

When dealing with muriatic acid, you want to wear eye protection of some kind, regular glasses or sunglasses are fine as are woodworking safety glasses or a full face mask if you have one. Figure out which way the wind is blowing and position your self up wind from the acid bottle. Work at arms length, don't put your face near the mouth of the bottle. Even tiny splashes can ruin your clothes, so wear something you don't mind damaging until you have lots of practice. If you remember to take appropriate care it really isn't that bad.

Do you have a suggestion on a bigger fountain? As you can see in my pic of the skimmer, the inlets are underneath it and they are not eyeballs. I don't have a clue as to how to add anyhting to this time of inlet.
Also, the Muriatic Acid indicates using plastic containers? I thought I had read somewhere on the forum that some plastics "soften"? Should I pour the mix into the deep end, skimmer, inlet,? Since we plan to swim today, I will wait and add the acid this evening.

You do not want to add acid to the skimmer. Instead, dilute it 20 to 1 or more with pool water (5 gallons of water to one quart of acid) and pour it into the pool while walking around the edge of the pool (with the pump running).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.