Newbie Needs Help With Swamp!

Bama Rambler said:
How much FC are you adding each time?
How long have you been shocking?
We have been shocking since yesterday afternoon and have been using the Pool Calculator to add enough bleach to maintain shock level (which is ~20ish) according to the pool calculator.

I am concerned because not once has the FC level fallen very low--shouldn't it be burning off quicker and attacking the algae?

Bama Rambler said:
Either way will work but the chlorine/CYA chart is a little more aggressive.

Gotcha, thanks. We just added more bleach to bring FC to 26. My 2 concerns are:
1) FC is maintaining reasonably high levels for how green the pool is;
2) Why don't we have any CC?

Am I concerned over nothing? After 24 hours, we have seen no change or improvement. Am I just being impatient or is there something else I need to be doing?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maintain shock level. This isn't a race. It will turn, only when it's ready... Green pools vary in green. It's why we sell POP free here.

Are you very sure of the CYA level? If so, hang in there. The only thing that can cure this is maintaining shock level. Some pools turn blue right away, some take longer. You get what you get. Shocking is the only answer other than draining, cleaning and starting over. POP for you. Drink up.

Without looking at the instructions, can you post how you're testing for CCs? Wonder if maybe it's a slight testing issue. Not trying to insult, but I agree that lack of CCs is odd. I'm doing a green-to-clean conversion myself and my CCs were high initially.

Latest Test Results:
Last Night
  • 7:00 pm: FC 25, CC: 0.5; added bleach
    11:30 pm: FC 29, CC: 0.5; added more bleach to last through the night
Today
  • 8:00 am: FC 26 ; added bleach
    3:20 pm: FC 35; added bleach
frogabog said:
Maintain shock level. This isn't a race. It will turn, only when it's ready... Green pools vary in green. It's why we sell POP free here.

Are you very sure of the CYA level? If so, hang in there. The only thing that can cure this is maintaining shock level. Some pools turn blue right away, some take longer. You get what you get. Shocking is the only answer other than draining, cleaning and starting over. POP for you. Drink up.
Thanks for the consolation. We have been maintaining shock level since the process started. I'm sure of my CYA...I've measured it about a dozen times by now, thinking something has to be off? But it's consistent every time. I'm starting to wonder if draining and starting over isn't a better option?
rjproulx said:
Without looking at the instructions, can you post how you're testing for CCs? Wonder if maybe it's a slight testing issue. Not trying to insult, but I agree that lack of CCs is odd. I'm doing a green-to-clean conversion myself and my CCs were high initially.
Not insulted at all...after I test the FC and the solution goes clear, I add 5 drops of the R-0003 into the same solution, swirl, and look for pink. I actually would LOVE IT if someone could point out something we're doing wrong so we can correct it. But sadly, I think we are actually doing everything right, which is why I'm so confused.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.