Newbie needs help with pump union

Rion Smith

Aug 7, 2022
orlando, FL
Hello-

My first time posting here- & I need some help- My pool ran for... not sure, but several hours probably, with the pool vac out of the pool- just sucking air! I know this is terrible for the pump, and please don't scold me- I'm paying for it already enough! Anyway, I caught it, and stopped it as soon as I realized what was happening. When I opened the top of the pump (I'm not sure if it was steam, or smoke) came out the top!

I poured water into it, and let it rest for quite a while. Luckily it started again, once it cooled again. But, since then, I've noticed quite a leak at the point of the union. Pretty sure it's cracked from the heat, and needs to be replaced. But I'm not sure what part to order, because the stuff I see online looks different than what I see on my pump. I'll include pictures, and hopefully someone will be able to direct me to the right part- recommendations on where to buy parts are all welcomed. I'm in Orlando, Florida.

Thank You in advance for any help on this!

Attachments

• Pump 1.jpg
    Pump 1.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 18
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 18
  • pump3.jpg
    pump3.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 18
That is not a union, it is a standard PVC male adapter that has shrunk due to overheating ( and being threaded in too far). You need some hi-temp pump unions. These are threaded in completely and seal with the O ring:

Reactions: Rion Smith
That is not a union, it is a standard PVC male adapter that has shrunk due to overheating ( and being threaded in too far). You need some hi-temp pump unions. These are threaded in completely and seal with the O ring:
OK- that explains why it looked different! I actually found these at Amazon, but couldn't necessarily wrap my head around how they would replace what's there... would I essentially have to cut thru the pvc pipe just above this, then unscrew the old adaptor?

Then with the part from amazon, thread into the pump, and pvc glue to the remaining pvc pipe? I've never done this, so am a bit lost...

thank you again for your help!

OK- that explains why it looked different! I actually found these at Amazon, but couldn't necessarily wrap my head around how they would replace what's there... would I essentially have to cut thru the pvc pipe just above this, then unscrew the old adaptor?

Then with the part from amazon, thread into the pump, and pvc glue to the remaining pvc pipe? I've never done this, so am a bit lost...

thank you again for your help!
Right idea. May need to extend the pipe after you cut out the adapater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.