Newbie needing a little guidance

Thank you. I thought that might be the case re the US address, but not sure how I would go about doing that. I can get the LaMotte 7022 here, so that will be the easiest option.

So, we don't have an inline then. The pucks just sit in the skimmer basket.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, that is not what we have. We will have to go with what we're doing at the moment, until I decide which test kit to get. Hubby a little doubtful about all this expense at the moment, and what I'm trying to achieve! I must admit, it all seems a bit involved, and when virtually every other house or apartment block has a pool, and probably using the pool stores, and they have perfectly adequate pools, I do wonder whether this is all necessary!!

I must admit I thought that in the beginning and my other half was very sceptical of the money I was spending. To be honest, your biggest expense (for now) is the test kit. One day you may decide to go for a Salt Water Generator when you have got fed up with adding bleach every day or two but that can wait. You might want a pool cover or a robot to clean the pool but again, they can wait. Now all you need is a test kit, some bleach and some acid (to lower the PH) and a means of raising the PH (aeration being the most cost effective). No point in buying a chlorine tab floater as you will be disposing of it soon but the tabs should never be in the skimmer and anyone who tells you that's fine, put your fingers in your ears and don't listen to another word they say.

The way everyone else gets round their shop bought CYA problem is by draining 50% to 100% of their pool every year. You won't have to do that so you will be €300 better off than them next year. (that's how you sell it to hubby :cool:)

Thanks, but I'm not sure what this would achieve. There is an address of a relative or friend in the UK that I could use, but setting up a US address is a little beyond me. Not sure why I would need to go down this route.

A setup with a company like Aramex is very common with expats living abroad. It just gives you the ability to order and ship things that you may want/need from the US or UK hassle free. I don't mean that you may want an Aramex account just for a test kit, but for all the little things that you may want to order from Amazon etc. I presume you are going to be there for a while.

As far as the expense of the test kit and the bleach and all that, you may just want to continue with pucks. It's a rental house so you aren't going to go to the expense of SWGs and robots that someone else suggested. It's just a matter of realizing that you will occasionally have to drain water and deal with the usual headaches most pool owners have. No biggie.

Everyone here will tell you to test yourself and use bleach exclusively, but it is not for everybody. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to go the TFP way or not. No one can make you decide. I am surrounded by pools that I would gladly swim in that are non-TFP, so I understand what you are saying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.