Woodburn, Ky
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi, after finally getting very comfortable with testing and keep out chlorine pool balance, we had our SWG Hayward Aquarite installed today.
I'm reading that I will be retesting my CYA ( which has been 60) and possibly adjusting that higher and then measuring my free chlorine as before. Here are my questions ...
1. Is there a chart or part of the app that will give me a starting percentage for the SWG. I loved using the one where I would put what my free chlorine was and what I wanted it to be and the app would do the math and tell me how much I should add.

2. How will I know when I need to add salt and then how much will I know to add.

3. I see a wide array of pump running times. We have been doing 24 hrs.. will that still be ok with the SWG?

1. In the PoolMath app, if you click the gear in the top right corner, you can change "Type of Sanitizer used" to SWG. It will ask you for the 24 hour output of the cell, in pounds. You can click the magnifying glass icon and search for your cell or type the output in manually. While you're here, click the toggle for Track Salt.

You can then go to the Effects of Adding screen and select SWG as the "Chemical" and it will give you boxes to type in the % and runtime. With those figures it will tell you how much it will raise your FC by.

2. You need to test salt every now and then. Do not rely on the SWCG's internal salt readout. You will need either a kit that includes the salt test (like the TF-100/TF-Pro Salt) or pick up the Taylor K1766 salt drop test. I highly highly highly recommend a SpeedStir/SmartStir if you do not have one.

Once you're tracking salt, the app will tell you how much to add, just like any other chemical.

3. Sure, my pump runs 24/7.

Reactions: HermanTX
As above but if the cell is happy and producing let it be and don't worry about salt. Salt stays in the water eventhough there's evaporation with the exception of losing water via a high level from rain and you drain some off, backwashing the filter or simply kids having fun splashing about.

1. In the PoolMath app, if you click the gear in the top right corner, you can change "Type of Sanitizer used" to SWG. It will ask you for the 24 hour output of the cell, in pounds. You can click the magnifying glass icon and search for your cell or type the output in manually. While you're here, click the toggle for Track Salt.

You can then go to the Effects of Adding screen and select SWG as the "Chemical" and it will give you boxes to type in the % and runtime. With those figures it will tell you how much it will raise your FC by.

2. You need to test salt every now and then. Do not rely on the SWCG's internal salt readout. You will need either a kit that includes the salt test (like the TF-100/TF-Pro Salt) or pick up the Taylor K1766 salt drop test. I highly highly highly recommend a SpeedStir/SmartStir if you do not have one.

Once you're tracking salt, the app will tell you how much to add, just like any other chemical.

3. Sure, my pump runs 24/7.
I'm following most of this ;) and have found everything as you directed, but I'm still unclear what to type in for the % on the Effects of adding screen.

You mention tracking salt ( is that a number I add somewhere?) . I did change my toggle

Thanks for your patience ;)

When you specify the % it’ll tell you how much chlorine it’ll make in that period of time.

Honestly you’re going to want to measure - and measure often early on. Start with something like 50% and watch it. Measure twice a day. If chlorine’s trending down you need it set higher. If it’s trending up go a little lower. Repeat until you have it dialed in

That said - my cell is set to 25% in the cooler months when no one’s using the pool and 85% with high bather load and the height of summer.

Expect it to change throughout the season. Test every few days and adjust as needed.

Gotcha thanks, just needed a starting point.
Do you ever use the "super chlorinate" option for high bather load ?
All that does is temporarily set the cell to 100%. It’ll raise the chlorine level faster but still not fast.

I keep some liquid chlorine on hand for when things get low due to high bather load. I test the pool at the end of the day then pour in some liquid if needed to get my levels back up.

Reactions: Addy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.