Newbie here questions on valves

Locklyn

Apr 26, 2023
Washington
We bought a house this fall and the pool was closed already. I'm trying to open it myself to save money. My pool has 3 values one for bottom drain, skimmer and a vacuum one. I have never seen one for a vacuum. It came with what I think is a Polaris 280 which I need to figure out as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20230426_104511.jpg
    20230426_104511.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230426_104530.jpg
    20230426_104530.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230426_104807.jpg
    20230426_104807.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Once you have the water level back up to its proper level in the pool, removed any winterizing plus, and have replaced other plugs where needed, it's time to fire-up the system. At first, I would see if you can leave power to the booster pump OFF. Focus on the pool pump only for now. I would leave the cleaner and drain valves closed for now as it should be easier for your pump to prime from the skimmer first. Once the system is running well from the skimmer, then slowly open the main drain to start pulling water from down there and watch to see how it goes. Pump pot should stay full of water.

Once those two are pulling water properly and the pump pot remains full, then you can consider dropping the Polaris in the pool, opening the vacuum valve, and turning on power to the booster pump.

Hope that makes sense. Let us know how it goes.

Here's a handy link in case you need it.

That (vacuum) valve should only allow water to support the booster pump/Polaris. Since the Polaris is supported by its own pump, you should be able to maintain your main pool pump and valves (drain & skimmer) independently. Once you have everything running properly, you should be able to leave the vacuum valve open since it won't operate unless the booster pump is on. I only recommended leaving it closed for now as to not get confusing as you prepare to open the pool and get the main system going.

I see so does the polaris pump just pull more water in when running I guess I'm trying to figure out where the vacuum pipe pulls water from if that makes sense. I thought I only seen a skimmer, drain at the bottom of the pool and two outlets that push water back into the pool.

Pat, @Texas Splash

I don't understand that set up at all??? It looks to me like the cleaner is a pressue side cleaner with a booster pump. It seems to me that the input to the booster pump should be from the pressure side plumbing, but they have it connected to the suction side plumbing. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Jim, I was just looking at that as well. The front of the booster pump (the suction portion) is typically connected somewhere on the pool's return line, with the top outlet of the booster pump as the pressure side that goes to the wall fitting for a cleaner. It looks backwards here. @Locklyn , was this all connected that way when you bought the house?

I was going to ask @mknauss for another set of eyes as well. Thought I was loosing my mind here. :crazy:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- so the return line is the pressure side for the cleaner. Appears they converted it.
The suction side for the cleaner still unsure where it is getting its water, but must be on the return side of the system.

So I see two drains at the bottom, the skimmer, and 3 outlets. They did have other cleaners too.

Attachments

• 16825444635284534243529998616735.jpg
    16825444635284534243529998616735.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230426_142451.jpg
    20230426_142451.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230426_142510.jpg
    20230426_142510.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230426_142527.jpg
    20230426_142527.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 4
Ok.. I had my input and output to the booster backwards.

So they took an old suction side vac line and converted it over to a pressure side line. This means you can't ever open the ball valve marked as "Cleaner"

To get the booster any water you'd have to turn the valve over by the wall that is connected to the booster pump.

Odd indeed..

Jim R.

Reactions: Texas Splash
@Locklyn, it looks like you inherited an interesting plumbing experiment on that home purchase. :) The additional pics helped. Now we know the booster is fed by the return line after the filter against the wall. The mystery now is where does that (top) out-going booster line go to in the pool for a cleaner? :scratch: Once you get the main system operational, maybe turn on the booster and check all the returns and fitting in the pool. I would assume the pressurized water would be easy to find or feel.

Lyn,

I think you used to have three input lines to your pump... Skimmer, Main Drain and Vacuum line. These are all Suction Lines..

It appears to me that they converted the Vacuum line, which would normally have water flowing from the vacuum cleaner into the main pool pump, over to a Pressure line that would send high pressure water from your booster pump backwards into the pool to operate a pressure side cleaner.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.