newbie 'gbski' & question

chem-geek: That's what I was hoping someone would say. Thanks. I think I am starting to get a basic understanding of this new method which has given me new hope!

So my third drain/fill last night was a little more aggressive than my first two. I was able to drain about 50% and my CYA therfore went from 130 to 65. I was planning on doing one final drain/fill tonight and went to doublecheck the TFP recommendations for CYA. For outdoor non-SWG pools, the pool school says 30-50. But it says if the pool has "very high levels of direct sunlight that CYA is kept 70-80. My pool has direct sunlight, unscreened, unshaded, central FL so a fair bit of sunlight. So according to this, I guess that means my CYA at 65 is about good? If my CYA is best kept that high, I guess I would have to use the FAS DPD test daily to verify levels, right? ...As opposed to the cheaper/easier OTO test. Looking for confirmation on that so I can go about tearing down my DE filter and backflush valve and also balancing my TA. And I think a SLAM is in order still? Do I do that before worrying about TA?

TIA!

Most likely cya at 65 ppm will work for you, but as you are aware, when in normal pool maintenance mode, never let the FC drop below 5 ppm. Leaving it up there will require you to maintain somewhat higher SLAM level as well.

gbski said:
And I think a SLAM is in order still?
How does your water look?

If TA needs adjusting, worry about that after the SLAM. I would get your ph in the 7.2-7.4 range before starting the SLAM process.

OK- I am convinced to try it with the 65 CYA. Will have to do daily FAS DPD tests but hopefully my FC won't drop off as fast as it might at a lower CYA.

After my well fills, the water has been light green, but after running pump for the day, the water mostly cleared all three times , but with a dusting of greenish yellowish grayish matter on the bottom on the last two times- a few loose clumps even (to answer the question chemgeek, is it was pretty clear, maybe a tinge of green still). I hadn't had my pool cleaner in this time, so I vacuumed most of it up just now and brushed some of my old BA areas for good measure. never had this greenish stuff since we got the house in March. I did a put a bunch of liquid chlorine in the pool at 9pm last night when it was half empty just as I started filling in anticipation of the green. so the FC was at 14 at 8am and then 10.5 at 8 pm tonight. perhaps last nights shock killed off a bunch of the nasty green stuff which i assume is from my water source.

I think I need to clean my DE filter since the pressure keeps going up after backwash in a matter of a couple of days. the last backflush dumped a truly disgusting green in my yard. Should I SLAM first or thoroughly clean the DE filter first (which either is probably best suited as a weekend project when I will be home)? Also, when to add the metal control? If I'm done draining, no reason I should do that now, right?

I just read the Pool School section on lowering TA/keeping or raising PH which was enlightening. That explains how my PH got so low and my TA so high. I was putting muriatic acid in per the pool store for some high TA back when it was 145. they never told me the PH would drop. but when it did they of course advised to use PH Up which in turn raised my TA. Sheesh. Anyhow I did fashion a sort of fountain to use to help aerate and raise my the PH after using the acid. Any problem with using some electrical tape to make a nice friction fitting into my non-threaded return jet pipe?

the end in sight?,
Gbski

well, i thought i'd share an update with our pool. the pool is looking GOOD! thanks to my fellow TFP people, the BBB method, and some cooler weather, and that drain/fill. The slimy dead algae? debris seemed to be a result of the well fill water, but the chlorine killed it off, and Vaccumed it to filter. i haven't yet slammed it as we went to the beach this weekend. Besides, Wed or Thursday I passed an OCLT, CC been less than .5 and clear water this whole time. I'll work on the filter stuff this coming weekend. Only thing is a little bit of gray seems to be coming back where the worst of the BA was. I hit that again with the steel brush and trichlor rub. maybe a SLAM after I get the filter running proper will help kill that off. But the water and swimming has been great. The BBB method is something that is quantifiable as opposed to the guessing game with the pucks and making random runs to the pool store and buying all their chems. Thanks to all!

gbski

I missed your previous post...sorry about that :oops:

I would guess you well water (like mine) has metals in it. Fortunately for you (and for me) running the filter for awhile seems to remove them.

If you are still getting the "gray" stuff, I would do the SLAM process and brush those areas well during it.

gbski said:
The BBB method is something that is quantifiable as opposed to the guessing game with the pucks and making random runs to the pool store and buying all their chems.
No doubt! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.