Newbie, first opening

joshs2000ss said:
My wife is draining the level down now. It had reached the top of the skimmer opening. She also said there were "a million" worms on the bottom of the pool. Is that typical? There were none last night. Of course we've gotten nearly a foot of rain over the last few days. Maybe that is what is causing the worms to dive into the pool?

I would say that is very typical! I have had a lot of worms in the pool after a rain storm multiple times this year already. I cleaned the pool one day and the next morning after a big rain there were 75 + worms throughout the pool! :hammer:

I read on here somewhere that the worms move out of the ground when it rains to get away from the water, since they cannot breathe when surrounded by water, and move towards the pool and ultimately fall in!

Got all of the worms vacuumed out. (gotta get that automatic cleaner going soon :) )

The wife has been assisting with the testing and it has stayed between 13 and at 13.5 since this morning for most of the day. Just checked again and got:

FC - 13.5
CC - <.5
CYA - 30

The rain is supposed to be gone, so hopefully tonight will be the night that I pass the test. Going to check again before bedtime and make sure I'm still where I need to be and then again early in the morning. Hopefully there will be no draining of the pool involved. I've never been so excited to get to dump acid into water.

Speaking to that. What is the most common method of adding CYA? I have the granules and last time I just broadcast them across the surface. Is there a more recommended method? If so, why is it better than just spreading it in there?

CYA dissolves very very slowly and it is also somewhat acidic. If you scatter it over the surface it will settle to the bottom and there is some chance that the acidity could damage the pool surface.

CYA should either be added to the skimmer (very very slowly) or put in a sock and the sock put either in the skimmer or hung in front of a return. If you do add it directly to the skimmer you need to not backwash the filter for a week and run the pump for 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, so much for being ready to start upping the CYA. Checked the levels this morning.

FC - 10
CC - <.5

A bit confused and a little frustrated at this point since my numbers had been holding pretty well for the last day or so. Maybe the worm invasion did more damage than I thought. Oh well. Yay, for another day of shocking, but still, one day closer to swimming!!!

Levels fell less than one ppm last night. Finally!!!

So now I need to bump my CYA to 70 from 30 (will double check before adding) via the sock method. How long does it typically take the CYA to completely dissolve from the sock? I'll be adding nearly 5 lbs. Should I shoot a little lower or just go for 70, which is at the bottom of the range and that way if I over shoot a bit, it won't be too big a deal?

Never turned the SWG on.

I'll hang some socks, if I can find any that length. Do I need to wait for the CYA to dissolve completely before I can turn on the SWG? I would like to at least power it on to see where my salt level is and determine if I need to add any.

Next, I need to tackle getting the levels set so I can turn on my heater.

I have two socks of CYA hanging, adding the calculated 80 oz. to the pool. I powered up the AquaRite, but left it in the off position. Salt level is showing 2100. Will that level come up as the CYA is added or should I go ahead and get the 84 lbs. of salt required to bring the level up to 2800?

Ran the full test kit to see where I'm at numbers wise. Found the specs for the operating range of my heater so I want to make sure I'm in those before I turn it on and risk issues.

FC - 13
CC - < .5
pH - 7.6
T/A - 90
CH - 160
CYA - was 30 before I began adding.

The recommended CH for my heater is 200-400. Am I at risk of having issues if I turn it on (after the FC drops)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.