newbie drain and refil, now what

Got it primed I closed the suction valve then poured water on top of the closed basket, either o-ring was dry or I have a small leak some where, but either way it's primed and holding for now. Going to let it run for an hour and test then get my trouble free pool ready for summer. Well post test results soon hopefully I can get some help with the results

ok test results
Cya <10 (filed tube all the way to top before I couldn't see the black dot)
TA .............60-70
Calcium....80-90
FC...............0.5
CC...............0.5
TC...............1.0
PH............7.5-7.8

Do I just plug the numbers in to the pool calculator and start adding?
Which do I add first?
What is liquid stabilizer?

First thing is to add some bleach/chlorine.

Next reread pool school then read it again and again. It takes quite a few reads to absorb all of the detail

liquid stabilizer is what adds the Cya to your pool. You need some stabilizer/balancer/CYA to "protect" your chlorine from the sun. The pool calculator will tell you how much to add. It will take about a week for the it show on the test.

You are getting closer.

If the ingredients are correct, yes that will work.

You do not need liquid stabilizer. Just keep the cheaper granules, put them in a sock and hang in front of the return jet or put it in your skimmer with the pump running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:lol: I suppose a pillow case would work. What are you targeting? You may not want to do it all in one step. I calculate that 6.5 pounds will add 30ppm ... I would start with that and remeasure in a week and decide if you want to add more.

You want to go slow with CYA (both granules or the pricier liquid) because once in its a bear to get out, yet if you under dose you can always add a bit more later. I put it into a sock, hang that sock from a piece of pool noodle and let it float in the water. It doesn't take long to dissolve and the noodle keeps it from laying against a wall or sinking to the pool floor.
Have you determined an ideal CYA level for your pool? Lots of sun? Lower sun exposure? SWG? All these things can influence your desired level.

ok so i got the chlorine added. I just added 6 lbs of stabilizer through a t-shirt, even though over 8lbs was recommended from the pool calc, as i can always add more later, and going to wait a week before testing. 15lbs of baking soda was called for so i added 12lbs. Pool calc calls for 42 lbs of calcium chloride and i just found a great deal for a 50 bag on amazon for just under $40 with free shipping. here's the link.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPPHYI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I should receive the salt in about a week just in time to retest my cya. If everything is good I will add the salt and then retest for everything..hopefully everything is correct and then I can move on to the borates.
If anyone notices anything that i might be missing or seem to be doing wrong please let me know. I have received so much help from everyone one here and i am truly grateful. BTW i found the stabilizer at my local wal-mart 4lbs for about $15.50, and the baking soda was 12lbs for $7.50. I got 10% liquid chlorine there as well it was a 2pack for $6.87 which is less then $3.50/gallon for 10% which seemed to be pretty good.

What did you try to raise it to? And what made you think it should be so high? ... seriously, let us know if something somewhere on the site made you think it should be 100 so we can clarify.

looks like 12 pounds would raise it 33ppm so now you are around 90-100 ppm.

Read step 1 of the adding borates sticky: You want the TA to be between 70-80ppm and I would be shooting for about 70ppm.

And why do you want borates? Does not even look like you have a SWG which would cause the pH rise that would warrant the use of borates.

Great just when I thought I was getting this stuff. The pool calculator says TA 70-90+ and puts a 100 in the goal box, so how could I not think that it should be this high?
So the rest I'm shooting for
Cya 40
FC. 5
CH. 260
Are these goals right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.