Newbie Chemical Balance Question

Did you empty that chlorinator of any pucks? They will add CYA back into the water. Use only liquid chlorine from now on.

What was going on with your steps?

- - - Updated - - -

I know you just installed a new chlorinator, but it needs to be empty. Use it only for vacations.

The coordinator is not being used. I'm headed to Wally World this morning to pickup some bleach. I need to recharge my filter now that the skimmers have water in them again.The steps just looked funky. Not really white anymore and had reddish stains on them. My pool store sold me $60 of metal magic to remove the stains. It did not work. The steps I cleaned look a little better. This pool was built in the 1990's and I do not have any history on it.

That extra hole has one more explanation that isn't covered in the provided link. It could be a way for water to continue to flow into pump even if skimmer basket is chock full of debris. I think I've read that it's called an 'equalization' port. I would think, very useful for those pools without a bottom drain.

I think I have got the chemistry under control. Looks like we are going to get some rain today.

FC = 6
pH = 7.8
TA = 90
CH = 200
CYA = 50
Borate = 40
Water Temp = 72F
CSI = 0.08

Looks like the only thing out of spec is CH which should be 250 - 350 and pool math calls for 135 oz of calcium chloride.

Can I buy calcium chloride without other additives? Is there a name brand product that I should look for? Texsun is the local pool supply store closest to the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added the calcium chloride and there is no significant rise in the CH.

i did some research on Amazon and this is the message I sent to them.

I purchase this product because it is advertised as being calcium chloride which I needed for my swimming pool. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out why the water tests did not indicate the calcium chloride levels increased after adding the 10# to the pool. Mystery solved. This product is not calcium chloride, rather it is sodium chloride. I would like a complete refund for this purchase. If you read the reviews of this product, you will find that I am not the only customer who has been suckered by the false advertising. Amazon needs to pull this product from its inventory.

Current chemistry

FC 5.5
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 200
CYA 50
Borate 30
71F
CSI -0.34

So much for the good deal.

Back to the drawing board.

NOTE
AMAZON has already refunded my money within an hour of when I sent them the above message.

Last edited:
About two weeks ago I started the TFP method to manage my pools chemistry. I believe I finally have everything balanced out properly.

FC 7
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 325
CYA 60
Borate 30
CSI -0.18
70F

Thanks for all of the good information and help getting things right.

Next step for me will be uprading my pump to reduce energy costs.

Im leaning towards a two speed rather than variable speed unit. I'm pay $0.083/KWhr and am not sure that the extra expense of the VS motor is worth it.

About two weeks ago I started the TFP method to manage my pools chemistry. I believe I finally have everything balanced out properly.

FC 7
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 325
CYA 60
Borate 30
CSI -0.18
70F

Thanks for all of the good information and help getting things right.

Next step for me will be uprading my pump to reduce energy costs.

Im leaning towards a two speed rather than variable speed unit. I'm pay $0.083/KWhr and am not sure that the extra expense of the VS motor is worth it.
Crunch some numbers. With the chemistry sorted out, you'll probably discover you can get by just fine with 3 or 4 hours filtering per day. See how long it would take to repay the expense of a new pump.

If your pump dies, certainly it's worth upgrading when you replace it, but it might not be cost effective to replace it just because it will cost less to run it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.