Newbie ? about going from Aqua Smarte to BBB

Per the pool School recommended levels. pool-school/recommended_levels. You have some numbers that are off. I'd recommend fixing that ph just to protect the pool. I'm not one of the experts, so here's what I think they will tell you:

- watch ph and keep it under control during this process
- Do a small partial drain and refill to get the CYA within limits
- once cya is good, shock pool until it passes overnight loss test
- fix TA to prevent ph issues
- just watch and maintain your numbers from here on out

Here are my latest numbers:
pH = 7.3
TA = 110
CYA = 60 ( I didn't have my glasses on and the lighting was dim last time I tested, I think it made a difference )
FC = 11.5
CC = .5

My water is still pretty cloudy. Last year my water was fresh, how long will it take for the water to clear up? Just a ballpark?

Thanks for all the help.

Your numbers are looking much better. TA is a tiny bit high, but that shouldn't be a problem. As long as the PH isn't rising annoyingly quickly, you can leave TA where it is.

Can you describe what the water looks like in more detail? What color is it? Can you see any of the ladder steps?

Sand filters can take a while to fully clear the water, up to a week or more. You should see a visible improvement each day. If you don't see a day to day improvement there are some other things to try.

I don't have the ladder in yet but I could see the wall about 12" below the water line earlier this evening.

The color is probably best described as a pale chocolate milk. It honestly just looks dirty. I replaced the sand in my filter before starting up Thursday, I just hope I got it all back together ok. Everything seemed to be ok when I backwashed, the test jar went dirty, then after a minute or 2 cleared up. I wish there was a way to test to see if the water coming out of the filter was clear or not but I don't know how to do that.

I just checked the water and it doesn't appear to have gotten any better over the past 12 hours or so. I paid a little better attention to the color and it's more of a grayish color. Funny thing is that earlier in the week the water was cyrstal clear with dirt on the bottom, so I guess all the dirt is just stirred up now that the filter/pump is going.

I will read about the DE in the sand filter in Pool School.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Just tested water and here are my #'s
FC=10
CC=0
TA=100
CH=120
CYA=60
pH=7.6

I guess I still have some algae since the FC dropped 1.5 from 11am yesterday and we have had ZERO sun? Am I correct in that assumption?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.