New VS pump - what should the de filter pressure be?

Every pool is different. You should break down and completely clean and inspect the current DE filter.
Once complete and recharged with clean DE, pick a pump speed and note the filter pressure. From there, clean or backwash once pressure climbs 25%.

Regarding your VSP, you're running at 70% speed? That uses a lot of energy for no real benefit. Most of us here run 24/7 at the lowest possible speed to:
1) filter pool water (lowest concern)
2) skim pool surface
3) generate chlorine via SWCG / activate heater

I run 1250rpm now at ~150 watts.

Please review all of the great info at Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Welcome to TFP.

Filter PSI is proportional to flow. Increasing flow/RPM will increase filter PSI. Decrease flow/RPM will decrease PSI.

Comparing flow, RPMS and PSI between different pumps and filters with different HP is comparing apples with oranges.

What model filter and pump are we discussing?

Erik,

My filter pressure is about 1 lb. on a 30 lb. gauge.

Filter pressure is not an indication as to how well your pump is working. It is an indication of how hard it is to move water through your filter.

You want to run your VS pump as slow as your can and still get the job done.

I run at about 1200 RPM as that is what it takes to turn on my salt system.

I run my pump 24/7, for less than $20 bucks a month. I do this because I like making a little chlorine all the time. I like skimming all the time. And I like the look of my pool when there is a little movement to the water. Not required, just something that a lot of people here like to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: reggiehammond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.