New User - Green Pool & Good Attitude

You need to filter out the dead/mostly dead cloud of algae. No more, no less. You keep the FC up because you don't want a possible little bit of alive algae to grow into another bloom while you focus on the filter. So you keep the FC up, but it's much easier to do when it's not chewing through FC. The kit will be your guiding helper when it comes. You may still have a bunch of algae to kill. The kit will tell you.

Run the filter and clean at 25% PSI increases. This stage tests the patience of anyone who has ever been there. It's nothing but a waiting game. Vac and brush at least once daily.

You'll get there. You got this. We got you. Keep us posted.

Reactions: jeffchap
My husband says now we need to add clarifier and phosphate remover. The clarifier makes sense, but I'm not sure about the phosphate remover. I don't feel like I've heard much about the need for this, and no test results show me that as being necessary. Any advice, pool pros??
Just in case it wasn't clear from the previous posts...

tenor.gif

Show your husband that my pool went from this (3/17):
IMG_20220317_161150181.jpg

To this (4/5) using nothing but chlorine:
IMG_20220405_104506206.jpg

That said - you're also in a situation where you've got someone else helping with the pool care who isn't here and seeing what we do, so you might be getting some conflicting advice. In the name of matrimonial harmony, you might need to blend a little when you can.

If he really really wants to put the clarifier in, then I wouldn't stop him. Just be sure he follows the directions for how much to add and doesn't just dump the whole bottle.

Phosphate remover, I would tell him that you read that it will create little packets of goo on the bottom you have to remove and if you can't see the bottom, it's not going to be easy to get that out. Here's a photo from when I used it with clear water:

full

I'd recommend telling him you should wait until the pool is clear for that and stick to elevated Chlorine to ensure no more algae forms.

Reactions: Oly
You need to filter out the dead/mostly dead cloud of algae. No more, no less. You keep the FC up because you don't want a possible little bit of alive algae to grow into another bloom while you focus on the filter. So you keep the FC up, but it's much easier to do when it's not chewing through FC. The kit will be your guiding helper when it comes. You may still have a bunch of algae to kill. The kit will tell you.

Run the filter and clean at 25% PSI increases. This stage tests the patience of anyone who has ever been there. It's nothing but a waiting game. Vac and brush at least once daily.

You'll get there. You got this. We got you. Keep us posted.
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have no idea what you mean about cleaning at 25% PSI increases. But I have the pool robot going and I've gone out and brushed the areas that the robot seemed to miss. I can't see any green now. I also got attacked by a mockingbird while I was brushing and almost fell into the pool, but that's neither here nor there :p

I haven't learned how to use our vacuum yet. Is that where the PSI comes in? My husband said he would teach me this evening.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have no idea what you mean about cleaning at 25% PSI increases.
This refers to the pressure gauge on your filter. Say it normally reads 8 psi. When it rises to 10 psi, that's a 25% increase because 25% of 8 is 2.

Reactions: Newdude
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have no idea what you mean about cleaning at 25% PSI increases. But I have the pool robot going and I've gone out and brushed the areas that the robot seemed to miss. I can't see any green now. I also got attacked by a mockingbird while I was brushing and almost fell into the pool, but that's neither here nor there :p

I haven't learned how to use our vacuum yet. Is that where the PSI comes in? My husband said he would teach me this evening.
Post a picture of your pool equipment, especially your filter. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That said - you're also in a situation where you've got someone else helping with the pool care who isn't here and seeing what we do, so you might be getting some conflicting advice. In the name of matrimonial harmony, you might need to blend a little when you can.

If he really really wants to put the clarifier in, then I wouldn't stop him. Just be sure he follows the directions for how much to add and doesn't just dump the whole bottle.

Phosphate remover, I would tell him that you read that it will create little packets of goo on the bottom you have to remove and if you can't see the bottom, it's not going to be easy to get that out. Here's a photo from when I used it with clear water:

full

I'd recommend telling him you should wait until the pool is clear for that and stick to elevated Chlorine to ensure no more algae forms.
Well, he isn't adding chemicals himself anymore - I have taken over. But I am trying to listen to what he says, and not be a jerk. But after reading the links you shared, I came back and agreed to adding a very, very small amount (slightly LESS than what the directions said) of clarifier today only (not as a routine thing) to "get us on track". I ordered a phosphate test (Taylor) and said that I will consider the remover only if the test says we have a problem. From what I can tell, the only reason to be concerned with phosphates is because they are algae food, and if the pool isn't a hospitable environment for algae, there's no need for it. I said that I absolutely will not consider adding phosphate remover while we are dealing with this. I plan to monitor my chemicals VERY closely once we have this under control.

My husband did come outside and watch me scrub the pool with the brush and he may have enjoyed it a little too much, and I got attacked by a bird while doing it, so any hurt feelings he had from me refusing his advice were diffused.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have no idea what you mean
tracy-morgan-no-way.gif

You're new to all of this. We were there too and we remember how much it SUCKED. I told you, we got you. If we go to fast, ask and we will *kindly* slow it down and replay as needed. :)

My compadres have your question well covered above. Please fire off any additional questions.

Well, he isn't adding chemicals himself anymore - I have taken over. But I am trying to listen to what he says, and not be a jerk. But after reading the links you shared, I came back and agreed to adding a very, very small amount (slightly LESS than what the directions said) of clarifier today only (not as a routine thing) to "get us on track". I ordered a phosphate test (Taylor) and said that I will consider the remover only if the test says we have a problem. From what I can tell, the only reason to be concerned with phosphates is because they are algae food, and if the pool isn't a hospitable environment for algae, there's no need for it. I said that I absolutely will not consider adding phosphate remover while we are dealing with this. I plan to monitor my chemicals VERY closely once we have this under control.

My husband did come outside and watch me scrub the pool with the brush and he may have enjoyed it a little too much, and I got attacked by a bird while doing it, so any hurt feelings he had from me refusing his advice were diffused.
You have a good understanding. :) The only thing I would mention is that whether phosphates are a "problem" is going to be understood differently here from other pool care methods. I do use them myself but only when I'm going to be away from the pool for a week or more on vacation and want a little extra protection if my FC runs low.

You have a good understanding. :) The only thing I would mention is that whether phosphates are a "problem" is going to be understood differently here from other pool care methods. I do use them myself but only when I'm going to be away from the pool for a week or more on vacation and want a little extra protection if my FC runs low.
That's good context to have! I just want to be sure that I have a really firm understanding of what I'm adding and what it's doing for me. I'm so grateful to have found this site.

Reactions: IceShadow
That's good context to have! I just want to be sure that I have a really firm understanding of what I'm adding and what it's doing for me. I'm so grateful to have found this site.
And that is exactly what this site is all about. We only add what is needed and only when indicated by testing. We never add anything "just because", and especially not because a "Pool Store" tells us to do so.

You are going to do wonderfully here and will soon be helping other newcomers. And your husband will marvel at your sparkling blue pool and the money you've saved!

It actually got even more clear in the following two days, but I stopped taking pictures. Like I can make out every detail of the liner pattern at the very deepest part of the pool through the water. I'm pleased as can be.

Question: We have had temperatures near 100 all week, and will continue through the rest of the week. We are also currently having a terrible thunderstorm right now, and it is expected to storm all week. Unfortunately we always get dirt from those raised beds washed into the water during storms. I know there is nothing I can do to prevent that except run the filter 24/7, which I am. My question is, what do I need to do to make sure no algae takes hold during these rainfalls? I am hosting a family weekend this weekend (the entire family comes and stays at our house and we grill and swim all weekend) and I absolutely cannot risk the pool being unswimmable - not after all the work I have put in. The chlorine levels have been naturally drifting back down - it was at 12 when I last checked. Do I need to bring the chlorine back up to SLAM level and keep it there until the weekend? I had hoped to have the chlorine levels back in target range before having children swimming in the pool, but I would rather have high chlorine levels than a closed pull full of algae.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 6c4a1ee7-5f7d-49d5-af0d-887b64b28f47.jpg
    6c4a1ee7-5f7d-49d5-af0d-887b64b28f47.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: jeffchap

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.