New User - Doing first drain - What do I need to know?

I thought I would update where I am on my first ever SLAM. I'm guessing I will get a TFP slap-on-the-wrist for not following the procedure exactly. But, I've only been in a relationship with TFP for 2 weeks, and my wife for 40 years, so you know which one of you I have to keep happier.

So, I started my SLAM Monday around 5 PM. At that time my FC was 10 and CYA was 50, and pool math said I needed a little over 2 gallons of 12.5% to hit my target SLAM FC of 20. However, my wife wanted me to use 8 gallons. This is because she normally tells the "pool guys" she has open the pool every year to use 20 gallons at open. (This was when our CYA was over 400, and before I even knew what CYA was) So just getting her to say the 8 was a challenge. I finally "compromised" with her and told her I would use 4. This would put me at an FC around 30, which is a waste. But, I knew my liner could handle that with a CYA of 50 and I keep my wife somewhat happy (Wrist slap here)

So, on Monday night before bed, I gave it a check. At a FC of 24, I stopped adding drops. I knew I was still over target, so why waste the testing drops. Checked again on Tuesday morning, and again stopped at an FC of 24. Checked last night at 6PM when I got home from work, and FC was at my target of 20, and CC was 0.5. Checked again this morning at 6AM, and my FC held at 20 for the 12 hours, CC was still at 0.5.

So, as of this morning, my numbers are:

FC 20
CC 0.5
pH 7.8
TA 120
CYA 50

I left for work leaving the FC at 20, knowing it was going to be another cloudy, cold, rainy day in Chicago. I won't be able to check it again until 6PM tonight, but based on no loss last night, I figured that is okay. pH at 7.8 is high, but the reading is also being affected by the high FC of 20. Water is still cloudy. I know it has only been 2 days of SLAM, and I did not expect clear this soon. But, I also know a high pH could slow down clearing the water. So, if I don't see it getting clearer in the next day, I may add a little acid just to bring the pH down some. I can see the vents on the main drains, but can't tell the screw type yet.;)

Here are pics of where I stand.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I knew the pH was unreliable at an FC over 10, and thought I said that in my post. I just knew my pH was a little on the high side for starting a SLAM (7.6), and it couldn't hurt to add a little acid in a few days, if I see little improvement in that time.

I have a 2-speed pump. It is running full speed 16 hours a day, and shuts down to low speed at bedtime (pump is outside of bedroom window). Pool robot is cleaning 3 hours a day.

I knew the pH was unreliable at an FC over 10, and thought I said that in my post. I just knew my pH was a little on the high side for starting a SLAM (7.6), and it couldn't hurt to add a little acid in a few days, if I see little improvement in that time.

I have a 2-speed pump. It is running full speed 16 hours a day, and shuts down to low speed at bedtime (pump is outside of bedroom window). Pool robot is cleaning 3 hours a day.

Sorry, I had missed that. Sounds like you're on the right track. Hopefully it's a short SLAM for you now

We have not had the discussion on bleach verses liquid chlorine since she made that statement. We had 12 gallons of Liquid Chlorine that I had purchased before I found this site. Then, I took advantage of the Menards pricing that got me another 12 gallons of 12.5% for only $2.00 each (cheaper than bleach). So, I now still have 19 gallons of 12.5%. I may get some more while the Menards sale is still on.

But, if I am running low, and bleach pricing beats any sales I can find on LC, I will be picking some up, and telling her what is in the pool AFTER I use it.
:rockon:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, what's next????? Here are my current numbers.

FC 21
CC <0.5
TA 120
pH N/A due to SLAM FC
CYA 50

Not only am I passing the OCLT, the last time I added LC was Wednesday night. I added enough to get me to an FC of 22, since my SLAM target is 20. In the last 36 hours (forget overnight) it has only dropped to 21.

My pool is not TFP clear. Before finding TFP, this is the point where I would add "clarifier" to the pool. It binds up the very small particles, and clears everything up fast (also requires a filter cartridge filter clean soon after). So, now that I'm a TFP groupie, what is the TFP method at this point? Let the FC drop down, and make sure my pH is in order? Maintain the FC till it's clearer?? Use the clarifier?? Guide me oh TFP Masters......

Here is the current picture. I can see the drains in the 8 foot end, but it's not what I would call "clear".
image.jpg

Clarifiers have a nasty habit to cause more problems than they solve, so they are generally discouraged except in very specific circumstances. Since you passed the OCLT, CC is virtually zero and you can see the bottom fairly well I would let your FC drop naturally and continue to run your filter most of the time and let it clear things up. A cartridge filter should make short work of that bit of haze without a clarifier so I would just give it some time. Should be "normal pool" clear within a couple days and TFP clear shortly after.

At this point too your pool is swim-ready. It probably seems weird to think of 21 FC as safe but the CYA buffers it quite a bit and it will be similar to swimming in an unstabilized pool with 1 ppm of FC. So feel free to enjoy your new TFP water whenever you are ready. Not that the weather will cooperate this weekend :pth:

At this point too your pool is swim-ready. It probably seems weird to think of 21 FC as safe but the CYA buffers it quite a bit and it will be similar to swimming in an unstabilized pool with 1 ppm of FC. So feel free to enjoy your new TFP water whenever you are ready. Not that the weather will cooperate this weekend :pth:

Pool water temp is currently 62. Even though my heater can get it to 87 (where the wife likes it) overnight, Chicago weather shows highs in the 50's this weekend. I normally don't fire up the heater until we hit the high 60's, low 70's, on a regular basis.

So, what's next????? Here are my current numbers.

FC 21
CC <0.5
TA 120
pH N/A due to SLAM FC
CYA 50

Not only am I passing the OCLT, the last time I added LC was Wednesday night. I added enough to get me to an FC of 22, since my SLAM target is 20. In the last 36 hours (forget overnight) it has only dropped to 21.

My pool is not TFP clear. Before finding TFP, this is the point where I would add "clarifier" to the pool. It binds up the very small particles, and clears everything up fast (also requires a filter cartridge filter clean soon after). So, now that I'm a TFP groupie, what is the TFP method at this point? Let the FC drop down, and make sure my pH is in order? Maintain the FC till it's clearer?? Use the clarifier?? Guide me oh TFP Masters......

Here is the current picture. I can see the drains in the 8 foot end, but it's not what I would call "clear".
View attachment 47987

I'd keep it going until it's clearly clear. (The third criteria for ending the SLAM) Does your filter need cleaned?

Your call, but unless you are actually going to be swimming, since you're losing so little FC, it wouldn't really cost much more to keep it at shock until you're really close to swimming IMO. You've been a fantastic process to follow and I'm really happy you're journey has been such a success. Don't forget to scrub anywhere that doesn't get the best circulation and behind any lights ***seriously, it is crazy how many people dig out muck.*** You've been a great sport trusting all the advice given and it is great to see it pan out so great!!! Congrats and be sure to clean that cartridge often enough! Clean it really thoroughly, between all those pleats! Top and bottom too! You'll get it crystal, but it really might take several more days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.