Shepherdsville, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hello, I am new to the TFP site. I have had a 17000 gallon AGP for 21 years. I used Baquacil ever since it was new until this year. I had very few problems with Baquacil for the first 16 years or so, (although it was expensive), then I started having issues with pink slime (water mold??). Each time I would pull the steps and clean/brush down everything, change sand in filter, etc and it would be back in a month or so. This has been a recurring problem ever since. I stuck it out as long as I could because my wife never wanted to use chlorine. ( Because of it's reputation for bleached swimsuits/hair, red eyes, etc.) This year I decided to switch to a SWG (Circupool RJ-45) and bought a new Variable speed pump and just got everything up and running a few days ago. I have been doing a lot of research online before and after purchasing the SWG and stumbled upon this site. Since then I have learned a lot about the pool chemistry involved with chlorine pools and decided to stick with this site as my go-to information resource in the future. I also purchased a Taylor K-2006C test kit and have become familiar with it. Right now my readings are: TA-90, PH-7.4, CH-150, CYA 70. I started up the RJ-45 2 days ago on 70% power, (pump running 24 hours at 2400 rpm) with a FC reading of zero at the time. Today my FC is 9ppm with no Combined Chlorine. I have seen the recommendations for FC/CYA here and will use that as a guide, but would like to stay as low on the FC as possible and still do the job. I live in KY (it has been sunny and in the 90s for 3 days now) and would welcome any and all feedback/advice moving forward. FYI: I completely drained and refilled the pool last week and started from scratch. I added 12 40lb bags of salt. (480lbs). Water temp right now is 82 F. I like to keep the pump running 24 hours at about 2400 just to keep the top skimmed off. Thank you

Welcome to TFP! You have good handle on pool water chemistry, already. Thumbs up on that. It's great that you got one of the recommended test kits, too. You will have fun on this site. It gets addicting.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your numbers look quite good. When you get a moment, be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. Enjoy the forum. :swim:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your numbers look quite good. When you get a moment, be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. Enjoy the forum. :swim:
Thanks for the response Splash. I have updated my signature.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Welcome to TFP! You have good handle on pool water chemistry, already. Thumbs up on that. It's great that you got one of the recommended test kits, too. You will have fun on this site. It gets addicting.
Hello An1vrsy. Thank you. Yes it is addicting. Very interesting reading scattered all over the forum. Looking forward to the coming swim season now.