New To Site, Need Help with my first test

Home stretch is a long one! :)

Seriously, just checked and FC down to 17 so I added another 90oz to my chlorine thirsty pool to get FC back up to 24.

One roadbump I'm about to hit, it is very overcast and beginning to sprinkle. Outside of trying to maintain the FC at SHOCK level, does rain change anything if you are in the middle of a SLAM?

Just did my "sunset" test (out in the rain) , FC down to 20 so I need to add more bleach (50 oz.) to get back up to the 22-24 range. Looks like my SLAM will live another day, but hopefully not too many more.

I realized tonight while getting soaked from the rain pulling a water sample from the pool, I now understand what the blues great BB King meant when he sang "The Thrill Is Gone" :)

:hug: I so get you! My thrill left with the liner gave way and tried to wash me out with the water! I took the whole thing down and said never again :rolleyes: Look at me now :shock: a mod on a pool forum! hehe Never say never.

Kim:cat:

I guess there always is a light at the end of the tunnel...after hearing Kim's story I will never complain again about standing in the rain testing my pool water as things could always be worse :)

This morning is grey and rainy. Water in my pool is looking clear, and my FC is at a healthy 24.0, CC is 0.5.

I can't use this data to end the SLAM though as I added bleach after my "sunset" test but did not test before I went to sleep last night to verify where the FC was AFTER adding the bleach. But hopefully this is a good sign, and it will hold steady today.

Late afternoon SLAM update. FC down all the way to 13 :(

Just added another gallon plus two cups of bleach. Very disappointed in you moderators & experts, you should tell anyone about to do a SLAM to buy stock in Clorox first! :)

Seriously, will do another test before bedtime tonight and who knows, maybe a miracle will happen and the FC level will hold.

Thanks for holding my hand through this process.

Gator Jim

Sorry about dropping the ball on the Clorox stocks. We buy generic here. :) Jim, I don't recall the last time you checked your CYA, but you might want to check it. After days of backwashes, it's good to know the CYA is still holding strong and FC matches that CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My last test of the day...hurray! :)

Water is clear with a STRONG smell of bleach...did a full test based on Texas Splash's advice, here are the results:

FC: 26 (I guess I was a little heavy handed when I added bleach around 6pm)
CC: 0.5
TC: 26.5
CYA: 50 :)
CH: 100
TA: ???
pH: ???

So lesson for the night...now that the CYA is at 50, I need to let the FC drop down to 20 and hold there, not 22-24 where I've been targeting. That means less bleach, so those Clorox stocks may plummet tomorrow!

Two Questions:
1. I know the pH test is not reliable during SLAM (I'm currently testing at 8.2), but I tried to do a Total Alkalinity test tonight and I could not get it to turn red. Added 36 drops which is the equivalent of a TA reading of 360ppm and still no red...just a pale yellow, almost urine color. Did the test twice to make sure I didn't mess it up with same results. Does slamming mess with the TA test too? Prior to starting the SLAM, my TA was at 60.
2. With my FC all the way up to 26 tonight, is that an issue for anything? I'm really surprised it is that high, don't see how I was that far off on my bleach measurement.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Gator Jim

Two Questions:
1. I know the pH test is not reliable during SLAM (I'm currently testing at 8.2), but I tried to do a Total Alkalinity test tonight and I could not get it to turn red. Added 36 drops which is the equivalent of a TA reading of 360ppm and still no red...just a pale yellow, almost urine color. Did the test twice to make sure I didn't mess it up with same results. Does slamming mess with the TA test too? Prior to starting the SLAM, my TA was at 60.
At high FC the TA test goes from blue> yellow. The exact shade doesn't matter, just that you saw a definite change. The results will still be valid.
2. With my FC all the way up to 26 tonight, is that an issue for anything? I'm really surprised it is that high, don't see how I was that far off on my bleach measurement.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Gator Jim
No. It will be fine.

Good morning, my FC seemed to hold last night...BUT I'm not sure my measurement was good last night though as it is at 28 this morning or +2.0 to last night...that or the Chemistry gods are messing with me for all those chemistry classes I skipped while in college.

Do you agree I should continue the SLAM one more day despite the FC holding overnight (actually going up due to a possibly bad reading) , or do you think it is OK to start letting it drop to normal levels now.

Water looks good and is very clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.