New To Salt Water, Kindly ask for some help in setup

No need to add salt unless you get a low salt error on your SWG. If the SWG is making chlorine then we're happy. No, do not add any CYA. It takes up to a week for CYA to dissolve and show up on the test. Did you add it in a sock? Or how did you add it?

It will dissolve.... Eventually....

That is the wrong method to use to add CYA though. It can take longer to dissolve and can damage your liner while sitting up against it for days and days.

Always put it inside an old sock, and tie the sock in front of a return or put it in the skimmer basket.

Not adding in a sock usually gets caught in the filter. Don't clean or replace the filter for a week after adding. If you already did clean or replace it then add another 20ppm in a sock in front of a return or in the skimmer basket.

Here is some handy chemical info.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I received my taylor kit today. Followed the instructions to the letter. Added the powder to turn the water pink. Then added 26 drops of proper regent to turn the water colorless. I filled the water to the 25 mark so this was equal to 0.2ppm. 26x0.2 is 5.2. So Taylor Says I have 5.2ppm free chlorine. Testing strips say I have 3. Could testing strips be this far off?

Had 2 days of rain here and FC is testing at 6.5? That's a huge increase considering I was at 3.0 just this past Friday. I have not added any thing to the pool. The SWG has been working beautifully all along without any errors. PH is at 7.4.

Anything else I should be looking at for the reason of the high FC?

I received my taylor kit today. Followed the instructions to the letter. Added the powder to turn the water pink. Then added 26 drops of proper regent to turn the water colorless. I filled the water to the 25 mark so this was equal to 0.2ppm. 26x0.2 is 5.2. So Taylor Says I have 5.2ppm free chlorine. Testing strips say I have 3. Could testing strips be this far off?

Test strips are worthless, throw them away.

- - - Updated - - -

Had 2 days of rain here and FC is testing at 6.5? That's a huge increase considering I was at 3.0 just this past Friday. I have not added any thing to the pool. The SWG has been working beautifully all along without any errors. PH is at 7.4.

Anything else I should be looking at for the reason of the high FC?

It was at 5.2 last friday wasn't it? Cloudy will cause the sun to burn off slightly less FC than a sunny day. Less swimming could also cause it to rise.

Oh, you can update your sig with your new test kit info.

Test strips are worthless, throw them away.

- - - Updated - - -

It was at 5.2 last friday wasn't it? Cloudy will cause the sun to burn off slightly less FC than a sunny day. Less swimming could also cause it to rise.

Oh, you can update your sig with your new test kit info.

Dang. Yes I meant to write 5.0. The pool has not been used since last weekend. Had good use today as it's about 90 degrees here.

Funny, before the SWG, I never worried about pool chemistry. Now that I have been studying this site and have my Taylor kit, I've become sensitive to every reading :)

Is the Taylor salt water test worth gettIng as well, or can I stick with strips to measure salt content?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any salt test is fine. Because you aren't really looking for precision in salt levels. Most are +/-400. The real reason for the salt test is a sanity check vs what the SWG is telling you. As SWGs get old and fail they often report falsely low salt readings. Also, when water temp drops below 65 or 60 or so the SWG will also report low salt or low flow. Ignore that, turn it off and start using bleach until you close.

For the most part through the swim season if the SWG is happy and making chlorine then we are happy and don't really care what the salt level is.

Can't believe this but my liner sprung a leak. Never ever had this happen to me. First time for everything.

I have been able to patch the hole which was near the outer circumfrance. I was able to patch from inside the pool and from outside. I lost about 6 inches of water. Should I allow the patch to set for 24 hours before refilling? Or refill now?

I expect I will need to add salt. I guess I will also need to run the pump for 24 hours after I add the salt?

Don't know about the patch or curing time. Once you figure that out add water and see if the SWG gives you a low salt error. If yes, then add salt. Adding one bag and giving it a good brush to stir it up. Then leave the pump running for a while, don't really think you need a full 24 hours for a small addition.

Hey guys for the first time ever, I seem to have a greenish tint to my water. I just tested and here are my results:

FC: 3.0
TC: 0.5
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 100

I've run my pump for 12 hours last cour of days with SWG running at. 6 hours.

Any advice to get rid of the green tint?

What is your CYA? FC of 3 is kind of low. If it spends any time any lower than that algae will grow. FC needs to be at or above target to prevent algae growth, Chlorine CYA Chart. I let ours drop to 1.5 a few weeks ago and had to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to get rid of the algae. Our CYA is 70, we raised FC to 25-28ppm and swam and SLAMed every day for about a week and a half. Be sure to clean behind the light and brush every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.