Middle Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have read numerous post regarding robotic pool, cleaners as we have never owned one before. Currently we have the suction side The PoolCleaner 4 wheel. We use the pressure side option on her other pool and it worked pretty well as we had lots of leaves; however, our current pool has a few leaves, but mostly a lot of pollen and dust that falls into the pool. We live up on a hill in the south westerly winds that blow across our backyard drop everything into the pool. Our pool cleaner is not able to really keep up with the pollen so we’re looking at a robotic option. We need something that will climb the care of everything else. Our pool is 20 x 40 so it’s a pretty good size. Would really like some recommendations from folks that have similar situation with a lot of pollen it their pool.

I find that pollen tends to float on the surface before it sinks and can be caught in the skimmer with a skimmer sock or hair net Amazon.com
There will be some that sinks to the bottom but you will be surprised what gets collected in the skimmer.
A robot cleaner is a large investment and once out of warranty there are very few repair parts available. I have one for convenience so I don’t condemn them but they are not the magic bullet to solve all pool cleaning issues. If your current cleaner is still functional, consider trying to catch whatever is on the surface at the skimmer and then giving your current cleaner a shot at cleaning the bottom. If the cleaner still doesn’t cut it for you, one advantage of robot cleaners is that they have a fine filter screen and can catch what other cleaners can’t.

Thanks for the reply. I have been skimming for almost 24 hours a day and it seems that this is so fine that it settles very quickly, and still is not catching it. We have very high grass pollen counts in our area right now, and it is almost an invisible dust. So while I am skimming, almost constantly, the floor, the pool is still getting covered with a lot of pollen.

Not sure why they aren’t showing up. I just posted test results today.
FC 7
PH 7.8
CYA 60 (adding more CYA) recently backwashed
TA 70
Salt 3650 (will add more)
CH 50

I do check my pool on a regular basis and use TF test kits so it shouldn’t be dead algae as I have not had it out of balance and I have done a couple of overnight test just to be sure that it is not algae and have passed each time I’ve done them. I have even added some DE into the filter, brushed to try to get up as much pollen as possible. We really do get a lot of wind and storms on the hill where we live, and our pollen counts are always moderate to high in the summer.

No, but in previous threads that I have read over the years. I have seen many recommendations to have the salt level a little above the recommended chlorinator recommended level. Pentair recommends 3600 for the IC60. I usually keep it around 3800.

Pentair recommends 3600 for the IC60. I usually keep it around 3800.
I'm on my 3rd IC60 that works great at 3k. Due to testing variance I'm unsure where it complains between 2600 and 2800 but have tested 2800 with it working fine many times over the years.

*1st one lasted a good enough life considering i shortened it by acid cleaning at regular intervals for no reason. Replaced it and moved after 2 seasons. 3rd cell is 1.5 years old at the new place. :)

Reactions: Bluelilly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, but in previous threads that I have read over the years. I have seen many recommendations to have the salt level a little above the recommended chlorinator recommended level. Pentair recommends 3600 for the IC60. I usually keep it around 3800
@Bluelilly be sure you’re using the same login information on the PM app as you are here on the forum @Leebo can assist if you need your accounts merged.
thanks! I didn’t think of that. Will update

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.