New To Pools / Start Up Questions

Make sure your skimmers and pump basket are clean. Have you back washed the filter lately? Also if the old bleach jugs are still around make sure you didn't accidentally add a jug of scented or outdoor bleach. They have stuff added to them that might cause foaming.

Highly doubt it was baquacil although the pool hasnt been opened for several years, in talking to the neighbors ive heard anything from 4 to 8 years.

I checked the o-ring and it doesn't have any chips or cracks. However, it also does not appear to have much left in the way of compression its possible it could just be old.

I've been backwashing every few days and had backwashed last night a few hours prior to that last foaming picture.

Last pH reading was 7.2 I'll have to check again since the CYA is now dissolved. And all of the bleach has either been regular clorox or GV (ran the local walmart out for a third time).

Thanks again.

Well it seems i'm finally making some progress. Foam is finally breaking and the chlorine has held shock levels all day without having to add. We had a pretty miserable day here in Michigan so I would imagine not much was lost to sunlight. I'll post more pics in the morning once we have some light around here, hoping to be able to see bottom by the end of the weekend.

I am having a similiar foaming issue. Never used any algacide (at least in the last few years). Last year my pool did the exact same thing. (See Post rough-start-to-the-season-t11629.html") This occured when I was shocking the pool after having it uncovered all winter with significant organic material (leaves, etc..) in the bottom. I scooped and scooped and vacuumed alot. After shocking for about a week, the pool cleared nicely. This year Im having more trouble clearing the pool. CYA is a bit high (80ppm) due to using some test strips and I havent done as good of job cleaning the bottom because its so cloudy. I will be fighting to get CYA down and keep shocking.

Progress update.

Still shocking and have been maintaining shock levels for a month now. Looks like im nearly finished.

FC has held overnight, CC is 0 to .5 and the pool is nearly clear. Just maintaining shock levels now until I can clearly see all the way into the deep end.

[attachment=1:1a04lv4z]IMG_0356.JPG[/attachment:1a04lv4z]

[attachment=0:1a04lv4z]IMG_0358.JPG[/attachment:1a04lv4z]

Based on what you can see in the two attached pics I have some significant staining from the pool sitting unopened for so long. Suggestions on how to move forward with these? I don't have any trichlor tablets lying around but I'm headed to the store this evening to see if I can find some vitamin C tablets.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 22
It won't hurt to try out a vitamin C tablet to see if it will help, but you won't be able to do a proper treatment until the water is completely cleaned up. If they are organic stains, they will fade slowly while you remain at shock level.

Well its definitely metals. See attached pic:

[attachment=0:7dfh90rc]IMG_2536.JPG[/attachment:7dfh90rc]

This was after about 5 minutes with 2 vitamin C tablets. I'll split this off to a new topic once I've completed shocking.

Attachments

• IMG_2536.JPG
    IMG_2536.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.