New to Pools - Pool Closed for FOUR YEARS.....HELP!

Here is a summary page about chemicals, like baking soda, what they are, what they do and how to add them to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here is an article about metals and recommended sequestrants, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

You can also use Culator to absorb the copper from the water, especially when the water is green and the copper is in suspension in the water. CuLator Metal Eliminator and Stain Preventer

Keeping your FC and your PH on the lower side will help prevent staining. PH 7.2 to 7.4 and FC at target for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

Good morning serenity ;)

I think in your shoes I would hang on to the sequestrant for a bit -- high Chlorine breaks it down, which is why Jacks or Metal Magic say not to shock for at least a week after application. If your water tints a bit from oxidized copper, the filter will get some of it. So focus on the slam initially, then we'll deal with any tint.

.4 is borderline...by the time you're finished with backwashing and whatnot, you may end up down at .3.

We would not expect the water to look different based on what you added. If anything maybe more cloudy from the baking soda.
That is what I was thinking. My main priority is not messing this up or doing damage to my pool.

We went to pool class last night since the pool store lady is a friend of my Moms and she was helping us before we discovered TFP. Since we were mid process in getting her help, we didnt want to just blow her off ad we had already committed to going. She has been sweet as pie and even coming an hour away just to check on us. I havent had the heart to tell her we went rogue, lol and are not going to be buying anymore chemicals. But, we still can buy pool equipment [emoji2]

Anyway, the class presenter scared me last night a little......the bioguard rep was telling how his Mom only used bleach and had to replace her liner every couple of years. I tried my best to take that info with a grain of salt and remember TFP and all the positive testimonials.

I took my husband's advice......SMILE AND NOD. [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Anyway, the class presenter scared me last night a little......the bioguard rep was telling how his Mom only used bleach and had to replace her liner every couple of years. I tried my best to take that info with a grain of salt and remember TFP and all the positive testimonials.
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, lol. First, remember he is a Bioguard rep, Bioguard is paying him to run that class and push people towards their products. So a few pounds of salt to anything he says.

Second though, there is a tiny bit of truth. If you only use bleach and never add any CYA then yes, you could easily overchlorinate your pool and cause liner damage. Same is true if you were to exclusively use something like Bioguard Burnout 3 (cal-hypo), but he probably failed to mention that. We make sure you get a proper amount of CYA in your pool water to both protect the chlorine from the sun and buffer its effects. The actual active chlorine is about the same as 0.2-0.5 ppm in a pool without CYA. Factor in the lack of weekly shocking and occasional nuking for algae that pool stores will recommend and you end up with TFPC being less harsh on a liner than your average pool store plan.

So smile, nod, and when your pool clears up you will have the confidence to politely tell her that you will be taking another path with your pool care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL It is SO hard to not have that nagging doubt when they are SO sure their way is best and only way. You did good-------SMILE and nod.

That WAS very sweet of her to come out to help you out. At least she cares. Most do not really care except how much $$ they can make for their store.

Look at Donldson's post.......see the guy was right in a way........he just left some info out.

My liner is the first one in this new pool and it is not really showing much age. I have ONLY used chlorine/bleach in it's whole life. See my siggy for how old it is.

Kim:cat:

That means you have no CYA, but that is no surprise for having been closed for 4 years. Your TA is far higher than I would have expected, this is why we recommend your own testing. Though I wonder, did you wipe the dropper of the TA reagent with a wet towel between each drop? If it is an especially new bottle a static charge could build up and cause smaller drops to go in, inflating your result. Try that one again while wiping the dropper and see if you get a different result. If not then your TA is just fine.

Otherwise you just need some CYA in the water and are ready to SLAM that thing back in to shape!

That means you CYA is zero or at least led than 20ppm

I am surprised the TA is that high, did you wipe the tip of the TA reagent after each drop? If that is right, that should confirm just how bad pool store testing is.

Now, add 10ppm of FC with bleach and retest FC and CC after 10 minutes and report back.

Assuming we were close with your volume at 25k, the 11 pounds would only add 30ppm of TA.
The pool store said it was 12ppm ... 12 + 30 != 110 ;)

Have you started using PoolMath yet? Need to try that 10ppm FC test I mentioned above.

I think the pool store is closer on the size. I checked today and about 1/3 pool is shallow 4 foot and then slants for another third or so and then deep end. I am going to take measurements when I get home.

Unless your pool is only 7k, one or both of the TA tests were wrong ;)

Didn't the pool store say 29k while I said 25k? A couple measurements will help.
Question.....when it says do drops until it turns red.....I see red when I am dropping it in for a split second starting with the very first drop but it vanishes. It doesnt keep the water red until the 11 drops. I am using that number. Is this correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.