New to pool, SWG and plumbing Qs

jweby

Aug 28, 2023
Scottsdale AZ
Just bought a house (very happy with it) but inherited a 20k gal pool. Previous owners pool company was definitely sketchy and am doing a lot better with TFP.

This winter I plan on doing some plumbing, hoping to install a SWG. Had great luck with SLAM, but chlorine is already getting pricey and annoying to carry.

There actually used to be one, but as far as I can tell it was before the filter. I understand this is a big no-no, as potential gas can make its way into the filter. First photo is where the old rented unit was. I think the output of the pump is at the top, then old SWG, then slide pump to filter if I understand correctly.

I’m hoping to get a CircuPool Core-55, as install is easy and the unit is nice and compact. However there is not much plumbing going out of the filter into the pool (second photo). So here are my questions:

Does the SWG need to be before both the inputs into the pool? As in can it go in one leg of PVC after the split, after the filter or no? I’m guessing no.

If so, any tips or suggestions how to get it before the split? Im afraid of cutting the PVC before, as im worried there won’t be enough room to add a joiner.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 28
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You are correct in that the CORE 55 MANUAL does say "The system should be installed before any Tees in the return line." Should being the key word there I guess. Interesting the RJ-Series MANUAL doesn't have that same restriction. Problem right now is you don't have much room (or PVC) to work with. When you do reconfigure the plumbing, you "might" have just enough straight coming out of the In & Out from the slide valve to connect new couplers or elbows to re-route your lines giving you more flexibility. A bit tricky but you can do it.

Just bought a house (very happy with it) but inherited a 20k gal pool. Previous owners pool company was definitely sketchy and am doing a lot better with TFP.

This winter I plan on doing some plumbing, hoping to install a SWG. Had great luck with SLAM, but chlorine is already getting pricey and annoying to carry.

There actually used to be one, but as far as I can tell it was before the filter. I understand this is a big no-no, as potential gas can make its way into the filter. First photo is where the old rented unit was. I think the output of the pump is at the top, then old SWG, then slide pump to filter if I understand correctly.

I’m hoping to get a CircuPool Core-55, as install is easy and the unit is nice and compact. However there is not much plumbing going out of the filter into the pool (second photo). So here are my questions:

Does the SWG need to be before both the inputs into the pool? As in can it go in one leg of PVC after the split, after the filter or no? I’m guessing no.

If so, any tips or suggestions how to get it before the split? Im afraid of cutting the PVC before, as im worried there won’t be enough room to add a joiner.
You would an 11" run of pipe to install. It looks like you have that in the second picture. There is a template in the manual that explains it, page 14.
The biggest issue will be getting enough flow to the SWG with the returns split the way they are. It doesn't matter if the chlorine is only going through one return, but you may have to increase the speed of your pump, if you have a VSP, to get enough through the SWG.
If you don't have a VSP, a 3-way valve may need to be installed in place of the last "T" after the backwash valve to direct more flow to the SWG.
They take up more room than a regular "T" and then the plumbing may have to become "creative," but it can be done.

The only way to get it installed before the split would be to move that incredibly heavy filter a long way from the building.
You may want to get some spray paint on that filter tank before more of the fiberglass is damaged. Even inexpensive clear paint will help.
You should also paint the plumbing as you can see the damage from the Sun already. I use inexpensive flat-black from Home Depot.

Attachments

• CircuPool-CORE-Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
You would an 11" run of pipe to install. It looks like you have that in the second picture. There is a template in the manual that explains it, page 14.
The biggest issue will be getting enough flow to the SWG with the returns split the way they are. It doesn't matter if the chlorine is only going through one return, but you may have to increase the speed of your pump, if you have a VSP, to get enough through the SWG.
If you don't have a VSP, a 3-way valve may need to be installed in place of the last "T" after the backwash valve to direct more flow to the SWG.
They take up more room than a regular "T" and then the plumbing may have to become "creative," but it can be done.

The only way to get it installed before the split would be to move that incredibly heavy filter a long way from the building.
You may want to get some spray paint on that filter tank before more of the fiberglass is damaged. Even inexpensive clear paint will help.
You should also paint the plumbing as you can see the damage from the Sun already. I use inexpensive flat-black from Home Depot.
Thanks, yeah I may end up just doing one lateral to start since it would be easy. With the 55 hopefully there is enough production since it’s 20k pool.

If it doesn’t work I need a new pad for the filter anyway, so moving it back and doing new plumbing would be an option.

I have till winter to think about it, the AZ heat is too brutal right now for anything :laughblue:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.