New to pool maintenence-The Great algae monster

Well, then you need to get a better feel for the actual CYA level using the diluted test method and then use astronomical levels of the FC to SLAM the pool. And then keep high FC levels to maintain the pool ... possibly making the pH test invalid.

There are no other alternatives.

A drain and refill isn't even an option. It would cost me thousands of dollars. We are in stage 5 drought conditions.
We are currently back washing about 4 times a day so this is the only way we are draining the water.

I have to leave shortly but I will continue to test and retest. I did do the test three times just to make sure I was doing it correcrly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do the CYA test following the diluted instructions? Starting with half pool and half tap water and doubling the reading?

With all the restriction in TX, I am surprised everyone does not use cartridge filters. :scratch:

So you are allowed to backwash and then top off the pool with your hose or not? If so, are you doing a very thorough job backwashing? ;)

After a weekend of working/playing in the backyard I am taking a minute to get back to posting today.

Here are my numbers for today:

FC-4.5
CC-1
CYA-80
Alk-110
Ph-7.5

We knew the cya was high last week and we didn't want to drain the pool-so we allowed the neighborhood kids to come swimming this weekend. They did a pretty god job of splashing it out quite a bit and a huge thunderstorm filled it back up for us this morning yay free organic water! We had also back washed to waste a couple of times so I am slowly bringing down my CYA.

My understanding is that I need to get my CC's even or within .5 of my FC. And I need to hold it there overnight. Am I correct?

I haven't done the pool math yet but am I correct in thinking I still need to be a slam level of 35?

Water is crystal clear today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My TC levels for last night were equal!!! I think I passed the test!!

My pool is shiny clear today! You can see every nook and cranny in it! I only thought it was crystal clear yesterday! I didn't know it could get better!

I am so excited you have absolutely no idea how excited I am. Two weeks ago I had ZERO knowledge of pools or pool chemistry. We had been relying on the pool guy who just made more problems for us. Once I took control, it started getting better. Now lets hope I can keep it that way :)

Here is Last week

Here is today the bottom is dirty due to a huge storm night before last we will vacuum it today but the water is crystal clear! It has never been that clear! I'm willing to bet the former owners never had it that clear!

The reason we work so hard. This pic is from Saturday it is still a little cloudy but I couldn't bear to tell them no swimming again. Plus they helped splash alot of water around allowing me to top off the pool and bring down the CYA level :) PS-I actually know what CYA is now! THANK YOU TFP FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! This forum is awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.