New to Pool Care

afeddy05 said:
Is there a relatively cheap test kit I could get to test cya levels with my testing? Are you saying use magic eraser under the water on the bottom?
Well, obviously, it's not just the greasy ring, so no, the magic eraser is not the solution. A picture of the brown stuff might help. And there is no cheap CYA tester that's worthwhile.

I cleaned the brown stuff off for now with just a sponge, if it comes back ill take a picture. I cleaned the filter today and it was full of brown greasy film too, I wasn't sure if it was lack of power from the filter that may cause a film like that or not enough run time.

I also noticed the out going pump hose going to pool to pump was greenish in color

During the SLAM process how many times during the day do you raise the FC to shock level? My CYA was 50, so I raised my FC up to 20 per the chart with bleach. My pool water is greenish cloudy. Before I shocked it this morning I scrubed the floor and walls of the pool, shocked it and filter has been running since. I've checked the filter cartridge (intex filter model 603) and there doesn't appear to be much green or algae on it as expected. About an hour ago I skimmed the pool, vacuumed, clean cartridge (again) and shocked it again to bring it shock level 20 FC.

What do I do from here, just let the filter run and keep checking on it? I'm at a lost and part of me thinks its the filter doesn't have enough power to suck the algae out of the water.

Thanks!

afeddy05 said:
During the SLAM process how many times during the day do you raise the FC to shock level? My CYA was 50, so I raised my FC up to 20 per the chart with bleach. My pool water is greenish cloudy. Before I shocked it this morning I scrubed the floor and walls of the pool, shocked it and filter has been running since. I've checked the filter cartridge (intex filter model 603) and there doesn't appear to be much green or algae on it as expected. About an hour ago I skimmed the pool, vacuumed, clean cartridge (again) and shocked it again to bring it shock level 20 FC.

What do I do from here, just let the filter run and keep checking on it? I'm at a lost and part of me thinks its the filter doesn't have enough power to suck the algae out of the water.

Thanks!
As it says in Pool School SLAM directions..."as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day"

At first, you will probably need to check chlorine and add more frequently - up to once an hour as Richard320 stated to keep it at 20. As the algae is killed, it will stop using chlorine as quickly. Check the psi on the filter. No need to clean it until the psi indicates to do so.

Full SLAM instructions are here: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.