New to pool care, green pool. Help!

Thanks for the encouragement, we just got done vacuuming the pool and I cant believe the amount of junk we pulled from the bottom. We have a canister leaf trap that attaches to the hose and we had to empty the net in it no less than four times. Tons of leaves pulled from the bottom but we think we got all or most of them. We will vacuum again tomorrow and see what we find, we also want to see how much the water will clear up between now and then. Hopefully with all that gone it will take less time to for the water to clear. We had been using the net up till now but this was way faster. Once done with the vacuuming we brought the pool back up to shock level to be extra vigilant, the pool formed a very light foam on top but it has already cleared out. So fingers crossed for continued success.

Pool is still not clearing up!

Been at this for about two weeks, pool is being vacuumed everyday (except 2 days it rained), the shock level is maintaining through the day and night with little to no change, the test levels are all good, the pump has not been off in two weeks, and the pool is still cloudy blue! What are we doing wrong, its reached a point of almost there and then just seems to have stopped. I know we should not over chlorinate because it will cause damage but I cant think of anything else to do. Would a clarifier help could it be phosphorous in the pool? Here is what it looks like now.

Attachments

• pool 5-8-11.jpg
    pool 5-8-11.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 43
Re: Pool is still not clearing up!

Drexzania,

Can you post your latest set of test results? Have you passed the overnight FC loss test yet? You can try a clarifier, if you wish. Sometimes they work and sometimes they do not.

Re: Pool is still not clearing up!

I'm interested in why it is passing the overnite test and the CC is at.............SEVEN! That's a problem for sure. A guru should educate us shortly. Have you been backwashing the filter?

Is CC of 7 a typo? If not, I hate to say it but your not done shocking. CC should be 0.5 or less.

If it was a typo, you can try some clarifier...from your earlier posts, the water was pretty messy, so this is a great improvement, but that said, you should be seeing day to day improvements too. You are pretty sure the filter is working correctly?

Assuming CC is actually 7, can you tell us how the CC level has been behaving over the last few days? Did it start high and go down very slowly, or was it lower and only recently went up?

Also, can you talk about what you filter pressure has been doing recently and have you been backwashing/cleaning the filter and if so how often?

CC can be any of several different chemicals. Some of the rarer ones are much more difficult to break down than the others. If essentially all of the CC is difficult to break down, or persistent, CC, it is plausible to pass the overnight test and still have CC at seven. That is why CC at 0.5 or lower is a separate item on the done shocking check list.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what is so throwing me off, we have been at shock level for nearly two weeks. Constantly testing and adding more chlorine as needed, which we are doing less and less since it seems to take forever for it to slip even a tiny bit. So how can my CC be so high? The vacuuming is pulling up way less stuff too, my husband is ready to dive into the deep end with goggles and see if there is as branch or something down there since we are not finding anything else. It started out very high but has dropped quite a bit. It seems to have stabilized at 6+ and not change much from there. Its actually a lower than 7 but I do go with the higher reading to be on the safe side. The pump gets back washed one a day sometimes twice and the flow has never been better. I'm doing something wrong but what?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong- as Jason said, SOME CC is persistent, but it should slowly go down as long as you maintain your FC and your circulation...
Did this pool previously use Baquacil or anything else? Possibly something left over, maybe in water or in filter, but still should slowly clear...

It was clearing but I never imagined it would take a week and a half to just barely make out the third step. The previous owner had a pool service that cared for the pool so I really don't know much about it before we began caring for it. I know lots of people have said this takes time and patience but it just seems to me we are doing an awful lot of work every day and seeing very slow results. These past few days it seems to have just slowed to a crawl.

Did you ever order the test kit? I read earlier that you added CYA then backwashed and was thinking of adding some more CYA... Your shock level is very dependent on your CYA level. Are you testing CYA with strips? I'm wondering if you're having trouble reaching and maintaining your shock level b/c of your CYA level. Remember too that sun eats up chlorine so make sure you're testing frequently during the day to keep those levels up. It will get there!! I was at the same point you are and I left for two days and came back to a clear pool. I was sooo excited! Hang in there and soon you'll have sparklypoolitis!! Good luck!

CYA is at 40, just had the pool store check it while getting chlorine, they said it needs about a pound of soda ash and that the water has a lot of combined particles and that those won't filter out (CC maybe?). They suggest dropping my water level and adding water. Oh, and they said my phosphates were over 400, that can't be good... Your thoughts?

I see no reason to add soda ash- with your TA 125, the pH will rise over time anyway, and 7.4 is good...
partially draining and refilling will reduce the TA, maybe, and maybe dilute the CC, but is not an instant fix
What are your fill water parameters? It may just complicate everything else...

Filling would be with a garden hose and city water, I'm seriously wondering about the phosphates though. The neighbor has a tree that overhangs our yard and it did just rain, could that be why its not only clearing so slow but causing the phosphates to test high?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.