New to me Pool - Please Help

Holmes0412

May 26, 2023
Beaumont, TX
I recently moved into a house that I bought as a foreclosure and it has a gunite swimming pool that was built in 2017. It's on the smaller side, guessing 10-15k gallons? I know for a fact the house sat vacant for 1 year, and the pool was let go and never serviced or touched for 1-2 years prior to that. I have never owned a pool, and do not know where to start. It has a jandy pump and filter. It's a DE filter, 60 size. The pool is nasty and has frogs/tadpoles in it.

I had a guy come out to look at it and he stated that the walls are etched and it needs to be replastered. He also stated that it needed to be acid washed as he was certain the pool will have black algae in it. I am hesitant to drain it as I know of 2 people locally that have had their pool pop out on them. Also, I don't think this guy has insurance and he has no website/social media presence. However, he seemed extremely knowledgably and he just branched out on his own after working for a pool store for idk how many years.

Can a pool this far gone be recovered with chemicals only? The guy stated I would spend more in chemicals than I would with the acid wash and refill ($1,300 quote from him). I do not know what the first steps are to try to bring it back to life myself, or if I should just let him manage it. I would like to do it myself, but I don't even know how to work the pump/filter, etc. I am a complete noob. I keep reading about the SLAM method, and I have a Leslies at the end of my street that can test the water.

Any recommendations? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. There are many more.
Post some pictures.

Reactions: Newdude

Welcome to the forum. There are many more.
Post some pictures.
Thanks marty, should have known you would have em ❤️❤️

Thanks y'all, I will get to reading! Do you have any idea of why the multiport valve would have blown off when my inspector was at the house? He wanted to fire up the pump to see if it worked, and it kicked on and started leaking water from around the pump and then blew the top of the multiport head with the handle about 3-4 feet in the air. I have not tried to put it back together or do anything else with it. Any idea of what would cause that?

Feb 4th pool.pngfilter.jpg

That pool does not look all that bad. No idea on the plaster. But an acid wash would make the plaster worse. You might want to do a water exchange first if you are concerned about the pool popping.

No idea on the MPV. Might need to replace it. DE filter will be a pain during this but also will clear that pool quick if you dedicate the time. Equipment is not that old.

Thanks y'all, I will get to reading! Do you have any idea of why the multiport valve would have blown off when my inspector was at the house? He wanted to fire up the pump to see if it worked, and it kicked on and started leaking water from around the pump and then blew the top of the multiport head with the handle about 3-4 feet in the air. I have not tried to put it back together or do anything else with it. Any idea of what would cause that?

View attachment 498653View attachment 498660
Sounds like maybe a closed return valve? Just a guess.

Hey Holmes and Welcome !!!

do you have any of the old swamp to clean threads handy?
A whole mess of them here. :) The last post/link, while not a black lagoon, is one of the better reads on TFP.

Hey Holmes and Welcome !!!

A whole mess of them here. :) The last post/link, while not a black lagoon, is one of the better reads on TFP.

I know back in the day swampwoman's thread was pretty epic

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.