New-to-me pool in sorry shape but coming along

Now I see. Gauge isn't returning to zero. Time for a new gauge, then will try DE again.
I Get It Now Season 1 GIF by SHOWTIME

My other newbie learning today: I was brushing a light when it came loose from the housing. Apparently there were no screws attaching it. And it had a bunch of algae and plant material behind it and on the light's labels. The other light had one screw attaching it, but it had algae and plant material behind it, too. Before, I did not know that there was this hiding space for algae.

And the new gauge is in place. Real pressure is apparently 10 psi.

Hopefully things move along better now.

Reactions: IceShadow
My other newbie learning today: I was brushing a light when it came loose from the housing. Apparently there were no screws attaching it. And it had a bunch of algae and plant material behind it and on the light's labels. The other light had one screw attaching it, but it had algae and plant material behind it, too. Before, I did not know that there was this hiding space for algae.

And the new gauge is in place. Real pressure is apparently 10 psi.

Hopefully things move along better now.
Those light niches can be algae reservoirs.

Reactions: Mdragger88
& drain covers too! Many drains have a bowl type situation going on underneath the cover.
Gotta check ALL the crannies for sure!
It also makes for a good maintenance opportunity such as repairing that loose light.

You are doing the right things. I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. You are basically converting something that became a pond/swamp back into a pool. It can take a bit of time.

Vacuum the bottom and scrub the sides, nooks and crannies till they are new penny clean. Getting all the debris out of the deep end and off the floor makes a monster difference. I found it amazing how much was down there hiding in the haze. Mine didn't clear until that organic matter was gone.

On a side note, once I found out what a skimmer basket sock and a skimmer vac plate were they became my best friends and seriously helped the process along by catching debris before it got into the pump basket and filter. Much easier the get the debris out of the skimmer basket than the pump basket.

P.S. I had the light problem too. Its now new and a led. Old one was toast. All part of the pool education. LOL.

You got this.

Definitely recommend that glycerin filled pressure gauge recommended above. My pool doesn't have lights and sometimes I wish it did but then I read these type of situations where algae was hiding in the light niche and I'm glad I don't.

Now that you've found some problem spots hopefully you'll see more progress. Stick with it - you've got this.

Hmm. I was sure I posted a reply here. Not sure what happened! Also, I didn't see notifications when some of your helpful messages came in.

But anyhow, the pool met the criteria a week ago, and I stopped SLAMing. Nice to have some time back in the day, and clear water is a good thing!

Thanks, @Mdragger88 and everyone, for all the useful information and encouragement!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.