New to building a pool, owning a pool, and caring for a pool.. first two completed

well I got my post party readings today and I am generally impressed. I have not added anything since Tuesday night when I added some muriatic acid and started the aerator to lower the TA from 120. ran the SWG a few hours Tuesday into Wednesday. off since then.

I just started the SWG at 50% for the pool and 10% for the spa. how often should I check the level of chlorine so I do not over shoot the goal numbers?
Pool temp is 73 and spa is 83 but of coarse since I have the cleaner running and it will mingle the waters pretty well via the spillway so the temp will eventually level out about 74 or so.

oh yea.. numbers
Fc=3
pH=7.8
cc=0
CH=275-300
Ta=90
CYA=55

It looks like the muriatic acid and aeration is working. need to do it again today.

Thanks for the link Dave, I have the photos in photobucket as you said except i made a file called "pool" and made it a private file. I do not have the line IMG on the right side so what do I do to Publish them to the forum? I read the terms and conditions for photobucket and by making them private they do not have the permission to use my photos any way they wish unlike the standard method. I have nothing to hide but do not like the idea of giving carte blanche and giving up my rights to my own photos to anyone who wants them.
any suggestions?

FUN pictures! The look on the face of the person away from the hot tub is classic! BURRRRRRRRRRRRRF! LOL

What a fun build to see!

Have you thought about having a mural painted on the block fence? That could be fun to do. When you tired of it just paint over it.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kimkats. Yes we have been looking for an artist we can afford. I am a bit of a car nut and we thought on the wall across the yard form the pool to do a classic car parking lot on the wall. But that is several hundred feet from the pool and views to be right under the mountain the sun hides behind at the end of the day.
Those are our sons and the one stepping into the spa had the same expression a milisecond earlier.. amazing how stepping into a hundred degree water makes you forget the cold water.. The younger brother didn't take long to find it either.
Thanks zethcat. phones are amazing now. I remember when...
John

I have reached a decision. I am going to design a pool cover. It has a lot of requirements and must work in with my planned solar heater. (and suit my DW dear wife' idea of asthetically pleasing.) Are these topics within the realm of this forum or should i look elsewhere to discuss them i am needing a place where like minded people can discuss the project from conception through completion. I am already aware that there are a bunch of very smart and some very educated people here (and some of that rare breed that are both) that could help a lot. If it is not appropriate just let me know. BTW if I say anything that can be taken more than one way you may be assured that I am either being satirical (very common) Or I am being sincere. I will never say anything intentionally to insult or tick anyone off. I have no time for that. Comedy and satire are the same in my mind. OH YEA.. i almost forgot to say... Don't ask me any questions you do not want to know the answer to because the bone in the body that allows lieing.... I was born without it. If I can help anyone in any way just let me know. (as much help as a neophyte can be anyway)
Thanks,
John

I am not a mod but I really do not think it could be a problem to "talk out" the pool cover. It might even help someone else that would like to do something like it.

I for one like to help others spend their money so.....................LOL

Kim

Are these topics within the realm of this forum or should i look elsewhere to discuss them i am needing a place where like minded people can discuss the project from conception through completion.
If it relates to swimming pools, it is open for discussion. The amount of response you get will indicate if there are active, like minded members out there.

I started an entire forum some years ago that was all about selling used pool equipment. It fell flat on it's face as I completely misjudged the interest.

Thanks for the comments guys. Well .. spending the money is part of the problem. I didn't consider a cover when i designed it.. didn't figure i needed it.. no snow here.. but who wants to swim in 64 degree water..It is not practical for any company to build one because of my design (and demands). My brain is kinda sore from doing more with it than i have in a long time.. Not really all my brain.. just the creative part.
I am going to have to learn a grapics design program since I cannot draw. My son is an artist and I have trouble drawing my breath. I am thinking Google sketchup. Any other suggestions?
I guess i should think of the thread as if I were in the military. Better to apologize that ask permission>>LOL

I am drafting some information presently and will start the thread soon. It is planned to be more than a simple cover and will be inexpensive, strong(we have high winds often), attractive, and safe to swim under. It will be able to be removed with noresidue and installed in another location to provide shade there in the summer. Oh yea, it will have to be able to be built and managed by myself..
I owned and operated a muffler shop (one man shop) in Il for over twenty years so I think I am up to the challenge. That was one vocation ago (I closed it 20 years ago) though so it is good to get things built again.
My original plan for the pool was to have 2000sq. ft of decking.. limited budget reduced it to about 1200 sq ft then the next thing I know we added another 1300 sq ft of pavers.. Can you say "budget"..LOL oh well We love the look. I just have to be frugal again. It was fun to spend money though.

Okay guys I have a strange situation.

My chlorine level was at a pleasing 3.0 a few weeks ago.. then next day 4.0 so I turned the SWG program off and the level continued to rise. Now it is at 10.0 I have been heating the pool but wouldn't think that would have any effect. The chlorine level continues to go up but I cannot see any indication that the SWG is running and the program shows no scheduled run time. I have been running the pool continuously so the heater can operate. I have also been fighting high pH but it responds appropriately.. add a quart of acid and the level drops, then rises again in a wk or so to where I have to add some more. I did get the TA down to the recommended level so the lowering is much easier and requires less Muriatic acid
Any ideas?

okay just thinking out loud-

-Do you by chance have an inline tablet feeder or a floater? Even if it is turned off......................

-Is there anyone else that could be "helping" you? Maybe adding bleach or??????????

Kim

no I do not have a Puck floater or any other chlorine addition.. no one could be adding chlorine manually. just the dear wife and me here. Only the startup guy has access to the control system but I would think there would be some evidence of someone turning on the swg. BTW when adding salt to the system for the first time... I put in half of what was recommended then added a bag every week or so until reaching the minimum level for the swg to function. then I waited 2 weeks and added the final bag.. levels changed extremely little for the first 3 weeks according to the swg readouts.. when the chlorine started rising so did the salt levels. from 3050 up to 3500 this morning with no additional salt added. salt testing showed essentially the same levels as the swg did.
color me confused.

I have nothing :(

Hopefully someone will come along that can help.

We did have one PO who found out his adult child was "helping" by buying and putting in bags of shock. He only found out when he found the empty bag in the trash can.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.