New to all of it. My "to buy" list needs some expert opinions! It should be a funny journey if you'd like to follow along.

jdi77

May 17, 2022
Arizona
I'm newish to pools and brand new to the forum, I'm not sure if I've picked the right subforum to post to but hopefully I can get some suggestions or input. I’m super impressed with everyone’s helpfulness on this site and the amount of information is amazing and so helpful! I’m sure I’m forgetting to write about or ask about something but here’s the start. If there are any cheaper alternatives please let me know.

I just ordered the pool and a couple of other things listed below - I'm trying to piece the rest together. Do these things make sense? Do they go together? I’m overwhelmed with all the pool jargon, measurements etc. so I don’t know if I’ve picked things that can even be used together. I’m reading, researching and basically making myself crazy!

Here's the summary - Tucson, AZ, 17k round AG, salt, well water, full sun daily, dirt yard, two trees are close to the pool. We will have a deck eventually. Pool will be buried, maybe 18 inches or so.

This will be a DIY adventure but my husband is handy. We do not have anyone to help us so hopefully we can get the thing up without killing each other. Any tips on building the beast are also appreciated!

Things I’m skipping:
  • Wall padding
  • heater
Here's what I've already ordered (too late to make changes to these):
  • Pool - 27'x54" Saltwater 8000 Round Pool(we will be dropping it into the ground a bit)
  • Skimmer - Thru-Wall Skimmer & Return Fitting
  • Liner - 27' Round Overlap Bluestone Liner - 30 Gauge(went with the overlap because it's the type my husband has installed previously and he's comfortable with)
  • Cove - Peel N' Stick Foam Pool Cove 48" section
  • Floor Pad - 27' Round Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad
Here are the additional items I'm leaning towards purchasing *(I truly have no idea what I'm doing so feel free to make recommendations or tell me I’m crazy):
  • Pump - This 1.5 HP is the smallest Dual Speed I found that wasn't crazy expensive. PureLine 1.5 H.P Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed - PL1507 - Product Specs: HP: 1-1/2 HP, Port Size: 1-1/2 in., Speed: Dual, Volts: 115 V, Cord Type: 3 Prong, Cord Length: 6 foot, Amps: 12.0/3.6 amp
  • Filter - is this overkill for 17k gal? Hayward W3C4030 SwimClear Cartridge Pool Filter, 425 Sq. Ft.
  • SWG - CircuPool RJ-45 PLUS Salt Chlorine Generator
  • Robotic Cleaner - Dolphin E10 w/ ultra-fine basket
  • Test Kit - TF-100 with TF-100 Salt

I can't comment too much on the pump, but all the rest are *perfect* :)
The larger your cartridge filter, the less often you have to clean it.
Going big on the Salt Cell allows you to get all your chlorine in the least time. Should extend lifespan.
Perfect Robot
Perfect test kit

I'd say you hit it out of the ball park! Take pics and keep us posted as things progress, okay?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Newdude and jdi77
I can't comment too much on the pump, but all the rest are *perfect* :)
The larger your cartridge filter, the less often you have to clean it.
Going big on the Salt Cell allows you to get all your chlorine in the least time. Should extend lifespan.
Perfect Robot
Perfect test kit

I'd say you hit it out of the ball park! Take pics and keep us posted as things progress, okay?

Maddie :flower:
Thank you! I'm a little concerned about the pump because the price is so low - but I've read good things about PureLine and Inyo so I might take a chance on it.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
For a dual speed pump you may have to run it on high for the times you want the salt cell to work. The device needs a good amount of water going thru it. The rest of the time you can run it on low and save energy.

I have a 2-speed 1.5HP AGP pump and RJ45+ that works fine on low speed. You should be fine. My only recommendation are:

- Get a wide mouth skimmer
- Mount the RJ45+ horizontally or upflow. Mine closes the flow switch at low speed but builds up a hydrogen bubble. Horizontally, the bubbles (mostly) get pushed along and don't accumulate.

I have a 2-speed 1.5HP AGP pump and RJ45+ that works fine on low speed. You should be fine. My only recommendation are:

- Get a wide mouth skimmer
- Mount the RJ45+ horizontally or upflow. Mine closes the flow switch at low speed but builds up a hydrogen bubble. Horizontally, the bubbles (mostly) get pushed along and don't accumulate.
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.