New to a baqu conversion

Okay so I think I am almost there with my conversion. FC dropped to 12 over night so I topped back up to 15 this morning. Pool is looking great. It is overcaste and light drizzle today. In prep for the next events after I pass the night test, where can I get info on what to do next with my conversion. I don't mean to ask another question in this thread but wasnt sure on how to set my CYA levels and FC levels to the recommendations in pool school. I have seen the info under pool school but still not sure? If there is info can someone post the link for me if not I will need some major help let me know if I need to post under a different forum?

Any help would rock!

Once your FC holds overnight, you will change out the sand. After that's done, you will take some CYA and put it in a sock, and tie a knot in the top and then tie the sock off in front of the return. It will dissolve there, leave the pump running until it dissolves. After about a week, you can test the CYA level. The CYA may dissolve in less than 2 days, but don't waste reagent testing for it. Wait 5-7 days. To determine how much CYA to add, use the Pool Calc, and in the "now" column enter 0 and in the "target" column you enter 40. It will tell you how many lbs you need.

Once the Sand its done, the CYA is in, you still need to shock up to 15, until the CC is .5 or less for two consecutive nights. Then you are "DONE" and you can let the FC level drop down to "normal" ranges. Refer to the CYA chart - your level will be 40, so you will have your new "min", "target" and "shock" from there.

Somewhere around page one, OP said 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer was added.

JasonLion said:
It looks like you have around 13,500 gallons and have raised CYA to about 30.

Did you test for CYA?

If the appx. 30 CYA is still there, you would overshoot your target of 40 if you use 'zero' for your 'now' number.

It is much easier to add CYA than to lower it.

I did test for CYA a couple of days ago since we added it in the beginning and there wasn't any left in the pool...So I guess I can start with 40 as my target.

Frustratedpoolmom, thanks for the directions...they helped.

Also for the over night FC test do make sure the FC is at 15 and stays there? or do I start with another number? For example if I test at 10pm and the FC is at lets say 12, do I keep it at twelve and see what it is in the morning or add more chlorine to get back to 15, wait 30 min, re-test FC for the night and then retest in the morning to see if it has dropped..wasn't sure on that part after reading the FC night test section in pool school.

Thanks everyone...were making great progress!

As far as the overnight FC loss test goes, it doesn't really matter what the FC level is, as long as it is above 2. To speed up the conversion, it is best if you get FC up around 15. Being lower than that isn't a serious problem, but it will slow things down a little.

Thanks JasonLion,
Just checked today it is 4:30pm est, FC is at 7 last dose was at 11:30am est and it has been very sunny this afternoon, went ahead and checked CC it is at 2. Going to top back up to 15 since I just got home from the Dr.

Do you think I will be ready to do a FC test tonight? The pool looks amazing, and last night I only lost 3 ppm, over night?

Okay so here is a concern,
At 9:45 pm est I check my FC it was at 12 and my CC was at 2. I went ahead and thought I topped up to 15, however It is 11:15est and I am fixing to go to bed and did a FC test to see what it is and if I lose any over night and my FC came back at 19 WOW! TOO HIGH, last night it was high as well at 17, my cc was 3, not sure what I have done wrong..need help. I am using the pool calculater for my pool 21 ft by 52 " deep whichis 11100 gallons, it said to add 69oz, I acutally added a little less, what should I do? this is the 2nd night it has ran high?

Okay so last night my FC was 19 ( I know high) I checked it this morning 6:30am it was 17.5 and CC was 2. I sure hope I am getting some where. I will be gone all day today and will retest when I get home. I plan on getting new sand today, some cya, and more chlorine since I will be in town. I WONT be adding the CYA or sand until everything is completed! Any tips or advice on what stage I am at, it has been a week and 2 days since I started and I am getting concerned.

Also I read in another forum I think by Hawkeye, can't remember but that he was using 25ml to measure FC b/c it was more accurate than the 10ml..Any advice for me here. I have been using the 10ml 1 scoop test and results have been a little high. ????? HELP

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did over night test at 10:30 last night it was 15.5 this morning at 6:30am it was 13.5 there was not bright sun just your reg. morning wasn't sure if I should have tested earlier like when it was still completly dark at say 5:45. My CC is still 2. I am getting concerned....pool looks great but I can't get CC to go down and FC to hold. I am still adding at least 2 doses of bleach during the day? am I doing something wrong? just worried and really want to swim...

The time you did your test this morning is fine. It was done before the direct HOT sun got on the pool. If you had a drop of over 1 ppm from your over night test then that means there is some kind of organics still in the water. Can you see the bottom of the pool yet ? What kind of steps do you have and what is holding them down ? Is there any debris in the water ?

Don't get discouraged. The last few days take a lot of patience. It still may be clearing baquacil out of your lines and such. Make sure to clean your steps down real good and along your pool walls and all nooks and crannies. It took several nights for mine to hold overnight, but rest assured, it DID happen. The hardest part is the waiting. :)

well just got done throughly cleaning all parts of the pool, wall, sides, stairs, and vacuuming. Went to pool store to get new filter sand and stablizer..took a water sample just for kicks....this is what I was told "that my Chlorine was really high and was bleaching out their test, and that they couldn't tell if I had any more stablizer in the pool since my initial dose from the beginning." Oh well thought it would interesting to see what they said. Anyways they told me to come back Monday to get my sand since I had forgot to see how many pounds my filter needed. Said I would be back monday to get it as well as my stabilizer, etc. They want me to bring another water sample back Monday to check everything So I was wondering what everyone thought about their water results? I know my chlorine is high b/c I am still shocking until it holds for the over night test.
I hope tonight is the night since I have cleaned everything and got what little bit of leaves were in the bottom out.

Okay so it is 5:30 I am fixing to go out to eat and figured after all day of cleaning the pool and topping it off with some fresh water I would test FC and CC since I haven't added any bleach since 10ish last night.

So Far
FC is 7
CC is 1

going to top back up to 15 and test when I get home tonight around midnight...

(very overcaste and only high 60's right now)

wish me luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.