New TFP - Austin, TX

fulldraw

May 25, 2023
Austin, TX
Hey Everyone,

Recently stumbled upon TFP and think this is the resource I've been looking for! Family bought a house with a pool ~4 years ago. This is the first pool I've owned. Being busy with young family/work I wanted nothing to do with maintenance and, up until ~4 months ago, I was paying a pool company an obscene amount of money to maintain my pool. After number of issues with said pool company plus cringing every time I saw the monthly service bill, I've taken over as the family pool guy. I've taken a tour through "Pool School" and read a number of posts on the forum and purchased a solid test kit (K-2006C).

Here are my first set of numbers:
FC: 5.4
CC: 0.2
PH:7.9
TA:120
CH: 950
CYA: 43

I've known the pool has had high calcium numbers (it is evidenced by large deposits along the waterline and spa spillover). Assuming my refill water is not too "hard" is the recommendation to go ahead and drain as necessary to address the CH prior to doing anything else?

In addition, I had some a couple of "learning weeks" as I took over pool maintenance duties. We had a pretty bad round of algae build up that I've largely addressed at this stage. However, there is still some faint green staining on the bottom of the pool nearest the deep end, which does not come off when brushing. Is the recommendation here to go through a SLAM process? If yes, should I address the CH prior to SLAMing or can I put off draining/refilling for some time (preferably indefinitely... water is $$$ here in ATX).

Pool Details:
20,000g
PebbleTech
Chlorine (historically tabs + shock but now switching to bleach)
DE Filter (Pentair FNSP 60)

is the recommendation to go ahead and drain as necessary to address the CH prior to doing anything else?
Yes. Shame you couldn't take advantage of some of the recent rainfall we had.

Is the recommendation here to go through a SLAM process? If yes, should I address the CH prior to SLAMing or can I put off draining/refilling for some time (preferably indefinitely... water is $$$ here in ATX).
Yes - and exactly. If you're going to pull the plug (pun intended - ha) and exchange some water, just do that first. If you can get the CH down to the 400 mark it would be ideal. Even if you stop and get the CH to 500 it's much more manageable. After the CH adjustment you can proceed with the SLAM Process.

Welcome to TFP! It's getting hot in Texas. :swim:

Thanks for the feedback. In terms of draining the pool, is best practice to contact the utility provider prior to starting that process? Another rookie question... how do you drain the pool? Do you have to have a sump pump or can you utilize the pool equipment alone shutting off the skimmers (the thought being this would only pull water from the bottom of the pool only(?))?

Thanks for the feedback. In terms of draining the pool, is best practice to contact the utility provider prior to starting that process? Another rookie question... how do you drain the pool? Do you have to have a sump pump or can you utilize the pool equipment alone shutting off the skimmers (the thought being this would only pull water from the bottom of the pool only(?))?
Are you City of Austin proper Or who is you water/waste water provider? Austin Watershed has some guidelines (note I am not an Austin Water/wastewater customer) for pool draining but no notification requirements.

Are you City of Austin proper Or who is you water/waste water provider? Austin Watershed has some guidelines (note I am not an Austin Water/wastewater customer) for pool draining but no notification requirements.
Thanks. I am City if Austin and Austin Water. I did find guidelines and attempted to call. Based on my reading, I don’t think there are notification requirements either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.