New T-CELL-15 Instant Salt Reading Low

PullJunkie

Oct 7, 2018
PA
Hi All, finally got my system up and running yesterday and today will be the first full day it will be in operation. The average salt is reading 2800 and the instant salt reading is 2300-2400. The actual reading from a Hayward salt meter is ~3600 (slightly high). Should both readings be closer to the actual? I understand the average is just that, so that may come more in line. But should the instant reading be closer to the actual for that to happen? Does it need to be calibrated for salt?

Last edited:
The salt level reported by controller can be very inaccurate. I would get a Taylor salt test kit. K-1766. It's the most accurate measurement you can get for salt. It's very easy and about $20.

Chris

Thanks. I ordered the Taylor salt kit. I don't have any calibration solution for the Hayward salt meter so that hasn't been calibrated in a while which may be part of the problem. I believe the Aquarite controller may be closer to the real salt ppm than the meter.

I've found internal cell measurement devices for salt level to be very unreliable. I have a different brand salt swg that prevents operation when salt is so far off to prevent damage. It also takes into account the cell inaccuracy. Yours probably does this as well. Maybe @ajw22 can confirm. If you're not sure you can always use liquid chlorine until the salt test gets there.

Chris

Last edited:
No, do not expect average salt level or instant salt level to agree with a salt test meter or a K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

The Aquarite salt measurements are a calculation based on the amps drawn. Different methods of measurements can lead to different results.

The Aquarite salinity will diverge from the actual water salinity as the cell gets depleted.

Even when you get an accurate reading of your true salinity it may not match closely to the Aquarite's number.. But you want to make the SWG controller happy with a salinity that will allow it to operate EVEN if your actual readings show different. The Aquarites run better if the Salinity is on the low side to prevent high voltage issues with the controller. That's the dance you have to do with the Hayward T-Cells.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a picture of the cell label showing the serial number and the cell model number?

If the system was installed as part of a recent pool build, ask the builder to take care of it under warranty.

Maybe go to a store that tests cells to get the cell tested and bring a water sample to triple check the salinity.

If the cell fails the test, do a warranty exchange with whomever you got the cell from. Don’t allow them to give you a “Warranty” cell, which has only one year of warranty (Serial number first character is the length of warranty).

Last edited:
I'll check. I do not currently have a picture and if it's at the bottom of the cell, I'll have to disconnect it to gain access to the serial #. It was not part of a new pool build. I converted my pool to salt this year and did everything on my own.

Use your cell phone camera to snap a pic of the label without disconnecting the cell.

I tried to get pictures but its on the ground and I don't see anything when I put the camera under it.

I did get the Hayward calibration solution and calibrated the salt meter. Tested salt again and got 3600. Tested again with Taylor and still 3600. Controller still reading low at 2700 avg and 2400 instant. Do you think my new cell is bad?

Is it a genuine Hayward cell?

Maybe go to a store that tests cells to get the cell tested and bring a water sample to triple check the salinity.

If the cell fails the test, do a warranty exchange with whomever you got the cell from. Don’t allow them to give you a “Warranty” cell, which has only one year of warranty (Serial number first character is the length of warranty).

What are the first 7 characters of the cell serial number?

Can't seem to find it at the moment. My plumbing runs horizontal on the ground so if it's underneath it, I can't see it and when I stick my phone under there I don't see anything on the camera. I am sure it is there somewhere, I remember reading it to check something about it before I installed it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.