New system low pressure and no flow

bookel

Jul 19, 2023
Fincastle, VA
Just had a pool renovated. I am a first time pool owner. I'm showing 0 on the sand filter pressure gauge and no flow alarm is on. Pump primes up. I see plenty of water moving in during priming. During priming the gauge shows about 8psi but still alert shows no flow. After priming pressure drops to 0. Have plenty of flow at the pool jets and suction on skimmers. Pump and skimmer gaskets are clean. I checked impellers and they are moving freely. Didn't find any debris on the impellers. Everything is brand new. Trying to get this going as waiting on installer to come back is a bummer.

Can you post some pics of your equipment? To receive a no flow notification, it sounds like you have some sort of automation. Can you post pics of that as well? If you use a variable speed pump, keep in mind it may be programmed to prime to a higher rpm which will show a higher psi reading on the gauge. Once priming is done and the pump pot full of water, the VSP may go down to a lower rpm at which point there may not be enough pressure to move the gauge.

Your signature is empty, so you might want to update that as well. See mine as an example and the link below.

B,

I assume you now have a VS pump and that it is running at a low RPM.

My normal filter pressure is about 1 lb. on a 30 lb gauge.

If you have plenty of flow at the pool returns, then the pump is working fine.

Tell us more about what you have, or better yet, show us some pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Updated signature. I'll get pics after work today.
Pump defintely slows down after priming is done. Good to know pressure dropping that low is normal when it slows. Yes its variable speed. I must have a problem with the flow sensor or communicating to the board.

Book,

The SWCG flow sensor could be installed backwards or just not connected to the SWCG's control center.

Unlikely, but since this is a new pool, it could be plumbed wrong..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Got it figured out. The wire from the flow sensor was not crimped to the RJ connector properly so when plugged to the board it was unable to communicate with the board. I was able to use my ohm meter to confirm the sensor would break contact when the pump was off and make contact when teh pump was on. I used an old phone cord to make a jumper and plugged it into the board and its chlorinating now. Heading to the store to get the RJ connector and crimp a new one onto the sensor wire and get it connected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.