Mike in CA

Aug 18, 2011
Arizona
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, I have used TFP for over 10 years in a pool in CA that was surrounded by trees. After learning about SLAM and did the procedure it was easy to maintain without the constant shock and wait pool store routine.

Jump forward to now and I have a new SWG in ground pool. Fresh fill, liquid chlorine until salt was added. I am working on getting the SWG % and pump run time adjusted to maintain my FC target of 4 (I have high CYA thanks to pool company and will likely drain 10% of pool volume)

My question is do I need to SLAM it? There are no trees near the pool so no leaves or other debris.

Looking forward to your replies.

Here is a link to my pool logs

Current pool numbers
7650 gallons
Mostly full desert sun all day
FC 2.5
CC 0
TA 130
PH 8.5
CYA 80 ish
Temp 81

I did add acid after the test but did not retest tonight. Will test am and pm tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_5878.png
    IMG_5878.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 11
No reason to SLAM it unless you have reasons to suspect you have an algae problem.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you are not sure.

Get you FC up. Use liquid chlorine and get your FC up around 6 with CYA 80.

Reactions: magiteck
A 10% water exchange would lower CYA to 70. I don't see a reason, if you don't have algae, to drain, 80 is just fine. It will also degrade 5-10/month.

Use liquid chlorine to raise FC, use SWCG to maintain. SWCG not so good at raising FC.

Refresher for you on FC and CYA ... Link-->FC/CYA Levels

When you pH is high like that, pool math is not so accurate with large (>.4) pH change recommendations. Lower pH in .4 increments until it is back down to about 7.6. You can retest pH 30 minutes after adding with pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.