Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
Lodi Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our new Heliocol solar panels were installed on Monday, They are working good and adding heat to the pool (105 here the last few days), Now I am wanting to dial in the panels with the correct flow rate so I can maximize heat and energy usage. I found an older post that had some great comments from Dirk

So, I purchased a FlowVis Replacement/Retrofit Jandy Lid (2 & 2.5") from Amazon to help with my proper flow rate for my panels, I have 6 panels of the HC-40 panels, the installation manual states the optimal flow rate for these panels is between 4 to 6 gallons per minute, thinking 5 gallons per minute is a good number, 5 GPM x 6 panels = 30 GPM. When I get the FlowVis, I have the option of 3 Jandy check valves to install the meter into (Picture attached) I was thinking of using the one closest to the wall, There are 2 on top of each other which makes the bottom difficult to read, the valve on top is next to a ninety degree elbow and next to my filter and I am thinking that would be possible difficult to read.

Which location is best?

image0[9897].jpeg

Last edited:
took another photo with the full pad, the pipe with blue line is the feed pepe to the solar panels, the red line is the return from the solar panels. There is a check valve on the return coming from the panels but it is underneath the check valve coming from the filter, If I can read it there then I can place it there, I was concerned that I would not be able to read the gauge thereimage0.jpeg

I would be inclined to put it in the face up check valve in the not so fun to read spot below the solar bypass actuator (realistically neither will be fun to read ) that should give you a read of flow thru the panels before the additional restriction of the heater (do you have the versaflo bypass heater?)
I have the Pentair VSF pump so my pump gives a flow (ish) that i used to find the balance between optimal flow and lowest energy cost.
we could also call in @Dirk to see if he has a suggestion?

I installed the FLOWVIS tonight, Simple installation. See the pictures that shows the location for the install plus the flow rate and my pump speed. The speed is quite a bit lower than I expected, as a guess I set the pump at 2100 RPM and now have it set at 1200 RPM. Please provide comments. I would like to turn on the panels but the temps are cooler this evening due to the tropical storm in Southern California ...image101.jpegimage102.jpegimage103.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.