New small pool in Sugar Land, TX

I'm going to vote for tile sample number 3 :goodjob: Make sure it is compatible with pool water chemistry, and that they use a white thinset for that tile. If they use the grey thinset it will show through the glass and "muddy" the colors. A quality full flex thinset is going to be needed as well, but the good tile crews know all of this already!!

It's going to be beautiful :party: :party:

Is the Glass Tile only on the raised wall, or at the water line too?

My PB's Tile Guy was not a fan of glass at the water line. He mentioned temperature differences between the glass inside the water and the glass outside the water causes different expansion and contraction. Stress on the thinset and something else I don't recall. I really like the look of glass and I think that wall is going to look very cool.

You should see that tile sample at full sunlight and water. I tried replicating the view with a kiddy pool outside with water and placing the samples on the sides... SPARKLING BEAUTIFUL! :thequeen:

The glass tile will be just on the raised wall, where the scuppers would be. The waterline is light travertine, same for the coping, planter and bench on the side.

More pictures to come...

Love this board!

Properly done, there is absolutely no reason that glass tile cannot be used at the waterline. A guy that says that is an issue is a guy that does not have enough experience installing. Tile should never come off of a swimming pool, if it is done correctly. I hate seeing/hearing of tile that falls off and someone says that it only holds for so long. Hooey! Poor quality materials and/or workmanship is the only reason for tile to fall off.

When it comes to glass tile each glass company has their own spec on how to install it so it won't fall off and if it does then you have a warranty... They basically want a membrane installed to secure the tiles and thin set too to help with expanding and contracting They want to use thin set and grout that expanse and contacts and also use a sealant... Glass tile can be very expansive correctly but very pretty when done..

Thanks Scott. I asked an engineer friend in that field and he said it was OK. It was a mixed surface, he mentioned the name but don't remember correctly.

Gunite was yesterday. The crew was here before 7am and stayed until around 4pm! The PB was right after during the morning and stayed during the whole process. I am glad it was Saturday and DH and I were both here, there were a few things they had to change before gunite, since the scuppers weren't aligned, the bench on the side wasn't there, etc. I was a little nervous but all and all I think it all went well.

Some pictures below.

Attachments

• gunite - getting ready.jpg
    gunite - getting ready.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Gunite - process.jpg
    Gunite - process.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 146
  • gunite - wall.jpg
    gunite - wall.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 145
Now, I have a question for all the experts out there...

As you can see in the design, we have a planter than runs from the left corner to almost the center of the pool. The planter is 12" deep and about 6-8" wide. We were worried about how we would drain water from that planter, not only from whatever we would plant there but also from the rain coming in from that side of the pool into the planter. So the PB is going to add some pipes on the back of the planter. You can see in the pictures below.
Do you think that would be enough to drain the water from there?... I am thinking it might actually pull even more water in. What do you think?

Attachments

• Planter - front view.jpg
    Planter - front view.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Planter - side view.jpg
    Planter - side view.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 145

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are supposed to be in the low 20F today in the Sugar Land area. We did the gunite on Saturday, so we are supposed to water it several times a day for the next few days.
Should I worry about having ice on the pool?

firstpoolforme

Water retards the cure, making for a stronger shell. There are concerns of freezing on gunite, so I would check with the gunite company and double check before watering. I would think the cold temps would be sufficient without water, but we don't freeze here so I am guessing :oops:

Reading about drains and pipes on other postings, and I don't see that on my contract:

Pool Size: 14’ x 32’
Pool Area: 389 Sq. Ft.
Pool Depth: 3’6” X 6’
Pool Perimeter: 97 Ln. Ft.
273 Sq. Ft. Stamped concrete decking
Top existing patio w/ Stamped concrete (179 Sq. Ft.)

EQUIPMENT:
Filter: C4025 Cartridge Filter by Hayward; 3yr. warranty
Pool Pump: 1.0 HP Tristar by Hayward; 3yr. warranty
Water-Feature Pump: 1.0 HP Super II by Hayward; 3yr. warranty
Skimmer: (2) Automatic Surface Skimmer with built in Overflow
Waterfill Line: Pentair Water Levelor
Main Drains: Anti-Vortex 8" Drain (2 in pool)
Pool Light: (1) LED Pool Light; 1 yr. warranty
Inlets: (5) Upper & Lower Pentair Adjustable Eyelets
Sanitation: Aquarite salt system; 3yr. warranty
Timer: Intermatic Dual Time clock; 1 yr. warranty
80 Ln. Ft. Area Drains (run to side street)

Should I ask the PB for the pipes diameter and layout and other draining specifications???

Hello,

We had plumbing and electric done since my last post. I will upload pictures tonight.
All the pipes used (as I could see) were 2", I think there was a small one but used for electric wiring, that's what I was told.

We made our selections on coping (travertine torreon edge), waterline tile, and travertine tile for the bench and planter. But still haven't ordered the glass tile - still doing some reseach on how durable, safe, etc it is.

KEVEN - you mentioned a membrane they need to use. Could you explain that? All I see is to use a special white mortar and special grout. Sometimes they mention a waterproof membrane, but no idea what's that.

SIMICRINTZ - any ideas?

SCOTT - Did you see that comment on the other forum about the Sugar Land soil being 'gumbo' not clay? I have a stomachache now; maybe I shouldn't have trusted my friend's opinion and hired a professional like you mentioned. I hope PB knows what he is doing!

I will post pictures of the plumbing soon so you can tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Firstpoolforme

Your pad layout looks reasonably good. All of the plumbing work looks fairly clean.

I can't figure out the red and blue ball valves seen in the fifth plumbing picture. Are they going to be underground? It kind of looks that way in the photo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.