New sand filter sand draining out.

M1Garand

Aug 3, 2019
NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
So i changed my DE Filter for a Hayward 270T sand filter because i will be renting the house out for 3 years and wanted an easier filter to maintain. When i first turned it on i had it in the wrong position for a minute on filter. I then back washed it for 3 minutes and rinsed. I noticed sand in the pool on the steps and at the returns, about 2 cups total. And today i noticed maybe 10lbs on the ground from backwashing.
I added the recommended 350lbs of sand and have not noticed any more sand in the pool today. Is this normal with a new filter and sand?

Pictures?
This is the sand that was on the ground from backwashing. Maybe 1/4-1/2 cup of sand was in the pool. Didn't see any more sand in the pool today.
I will backwash on Monday to see if any more sand comes out of backwash. Not sure if this was normal when you first operate a new sand filterScreen Shot 2023-05-26 at 5.34.12 PM.png

This is the sand that was on the ground from backwashing. Maybe 1/4-1/2 cup of sand was in the pool. Didn't see any more sand in the pool today.
I will backwash on Monday to see if any more sand comes out of backwash. Not sure if this was normal when you first operate a new sand filterView attachment 496598
Sand comes in 50 and 100 lb. bags. Hayward, and all manufacturers, give you the proper amount of bags to put in the filter. If it doesn't continue to show up in the backwash there is no problem. It happens quite frequently.
The sand that ended up in the pool was the "fines," smaller than 20 mesh, that got through the sand supplier's system. That's always going to be in a bag of sand and why a backwash before filtering is always needed.

Sand comes in 50 and 100 lb. bags. Hayward, and all manufacturers, give you the proper amount of bags to put in the filter. If it doesn't continue to show up in the backwash there is no problem. It happens quite frequently.
The sand that ended up in the pool was the "fines," smaller than 20 mesh, that got through the sand supplier's system. That's always going to be in a bag of sand and why a backwash before filtering is always needed.
Makes since and that is what i was thinking. My filter called for 350lbs and i used 7 50lb bags of AquaQuarts. New to sand filters had DE filter for 5 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.