Gold Supporter
Jul 25, 2011
Durant, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just bought a house and I want to know that everything is right from the get-go, because to pool looks greatly neglected. I have always had pools, and have the experience to do all this. I know I will get a lot of “ you don’t have to replace the sand” but it just makes me feel better to start fresh and know that everything is clean and correct. I have taken out the sand and cleaned the laterals, inspected the gaskets, etc. My question is how much (if any) DE to add when filling the sand filter. It is a Hayward S244t that takes 300 lbs of sand. Thanks for you advice and expertise!!!

Usually a 1-2 PSI rise is sufficient but why do you want to add DE to the filter?

Most people only add DE to a sand filter after an algae cleanup. Sand filters are not all that great at filtering out dead algae.

Another reason might be because of very fine pollen or dust that gets by the sand filter.

Usually a 1-2 PSI rise is sufficient but why do you want to add DE to the filter?

Most people only add DE to a sand filter after an algae cleanup. Sand filters are not all that great at filtering out dead algae.

Another reason might be because of very fine pollen or dust that gets by the sand filter.
I have just read here in the past that adding some DE to the sand helps it do a better job. Thought since I was loading it up I might add some, but maybe not???

I wouldn't bother unless there is a specific reason you need it. There is no guarantee that you will see a difference but you can try it both ways and see.

Downside to adding DE is you are adding it everytiime you backwash the filter.

just so there’s no confusion- you don’t add de to the sand when you’re installing the sand.
If you wish to add pool grade de you mix it with water & add it to the skimmer when the pool is up & running. Here’s the instructions

Reactions: mas985 and proavia
just so there’s no confusion- you don’t add de to the sand when you’re installing the sand.
If you wish to add pool grade de you mix it with water & add it to the skimmer when the pool is up & running. Here’s the instructions
Ahhhhhh! Thanks so much! I didn’t know that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support