New salt chlorinator or Slam?

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
28000 gallon, inground pool, I have the aqua rite T15 Salt chlorinator. I installed it in 2016 so this will be its 8th year. Says it’s generating chlorine but when I tested, I’m only getting one 1.5 ppm of chlorine. I run it seven hours a day at 50% setting. I’m wondering if it’s at the end of its life or if the pool Has to be slammed because something is just eating the chlorine? Is there a way to tell or do I just slam it and see what happens?

Pressing the diagnostic button sequentially will display:

• Default salt display
  • Pool temp
  • Cell Voltage - When not generating, the voltage is about 30 to 32 volts dc. When generating, the voltage drops about 1 volt per amp of current.
  • Cell current
  • Desired output (% of the knob)
  • Instant salinity
  • Product name
  • Software revision (r.XX)
  • Cell type
Run an OCLT tonight. Raise the FC to above 10% of CYA level using liquid chlorine to do the OCLT.

Passed all phases of slam this morning, held FC over night, no signs of algae present, crystal clear water, combined chlorine under .5. I’ll let it drift back down turn on swg and see if it can maintain appropriate FC level. If not time for a new cell.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I ended up slamming 14 gallons chlorine and thought passed Overnight test. Still didnt hold chlorine over time and went down to 1ppm. Ordered a new salt cell and installed. Added 2 gallons and ran pump for 2 days and water was crystal clear. Says the salt cell has power and is generating. I just tested FC and back to 1ppm and growing some algae. Not sure what else it could be or I really gotta slam it.

If the SWCG is run at 100% for 8 hours per day, that is 2 ppm FC per day. Likely not enough at this time of year. Run it 16 hours per day at 100% and see if it keeps up.

With CYA at 80 your slam level FC is 31. Did you bring it that high with LC and hold it there until you passed all 3 criteria?

Also you’re WAY below target FC for that CYA level. That’s setting you up for algae even if you can’t see it, it’s probably there. You should be running toward the high end of target so 8-11. Try to keep FC at 10% of CYA. That gives you some wiggle room.

I’d slam it again. Check and scrub everywhere. Niches, skimmers, ladders. Do another OCLT and make sure the SWG is off.

You may need to turn it up or increase your run times.

Reactions: Newdude
With CYA at 80 your slam level FC is 31. Did you bring it that high with LC and hold it there until you passed all 3 criteria?

Also you’re WAY below target FC for that CYA level. That’s setting you up for algae even if you can’t see it, it’s probably there. You should be running toward the high end of target so 8-11. Try to keep FC at 10% of CYA. That gives you some wiggle room.

I’d slam it again. Check and scrub everywhere. Niches, skimmers, ladders. Do another OCLT and make sure the SWG is off.

You may need to turn it up or increase your run times.
I didn’t slam up
To 31 I think I brought it up to 24ppm amd it
Was tough to hold it there. Your saying a target FC of 8-11?

I have the pump running 7-3. The salt is set
At setting of 40 from 7-2 so that’s 7 hours
That is only adding 0.7 ppm FC per day. Way too little.
Once your finish SLAM, set the SWCG to 100% and run for at least 12 hours. That will give you 3 ppm FC per day. Might be enough in your climate. If FC goes down, raise it to 16 hours per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.