New robotic cleaner - what to do with side suction?

tkan86

Aug 3, 2022
Davis, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone!
I tried to look this up on TFP forums but couldn't find anything with exactly what I'm looking for.

I just bought a robot cleaner (Polaris VRX iq+). We previously had a barracuda G3 attached to our side suction. We have one skimmer that has two pipes at the bottom (I looked it up and sounds like one is for the skimmer and other is for the main drains?). Our pump has one pipe coming in from skimmer/main drain, and the other is the side suction. We previously had the valve opened 2/3 to the barracuda, and 1/3 open to the skimmer.

Since we don't have the barracuda attached anymore (we've completely detached the hose and theres a cap over the side suction now), am I supposed to turn the valve 100% open to the skimmer?

I was playing around with the valves and when I did this, a bunch of large bubbles were going into the pump/strainer and there was gurgling noises coming from the skimmer - I didn't see any air getting sucked in. When the pump was turned off, a lot of bubbles were coming out from the side suction.

When i opened the valve a little bit to the side suction (20% open to the valve, 80% open to the skimmer) and turned on the pump, the bubbles going in to the strainer pump subsided but there's still a bunch of bubbles coming from the two pool jets.

I don't know if I should have left the valve open to the skimmer 100% and just be a bit patient, but was worried I was going to overheat the pump or something scary. I apologize if I submitted this question to the wrong section.

Thanks!

Many years ago, like you, I bought a robot and sold my suction side cleaner. 5 years down the road, the robot completely died and I could not repair it because they are designed to not be repairable. So instead of wasting money on a new robot, I purchased the exact same suction cleaner I owned previously. I’m done with robots.

You may feel differently down the road and be happy to buy a new robot when this one dies. That’s entirely a personal choice. But my suggestion to you is this - keep the suction cleaner on hand. In fact, when it’s not swim season and the pool isn’t in need of the robot cleaner, use the suction cleaner instead. The less you use the robot, especially in harsher water conditions, the longer it will last.

Just an opinion from someone that has been down the road and learned a lesson ….

Every once in awhile exercise that valve for a few minutes to purge the pipe from potential stagnant water leading to algae. Be careful not to do this while pool is being used as the suction can be dangerous to swimmers.

Reactions: KJB1
Every once in awhile exercise that valve for a few minutes to purge the pipe from potential stagnant water leading to algae. Be careful not to do this while pool is being used as the suction can be dangerous to swimmers.
👍I have the same issue. I don’t see how water sitting in the pipe forever could be good. I try to open it up every week or 2 for a few minutes. After owning a robot, I hate the suction side cleaner and hoses. I guess if you had a robot that broke all the time it would be different.

👍I have the same issue. I don’t see how water sitting in the pipe forever could be good. I try to open it up every week or 2 for a few minutes. After owning a robot, I hate the suction side cleaner and hoses. I guess if you had a robot that broke all the time it would be different.

They do break all the time 😉😝🤣 Lately the MTBF seems to be 3-5 years. Keep the suction cleaner as you may need it. And having a manual vacuum port available is definitely a convenience. You may not need it all the time but there will come a day when you absolutely need it and you’d be kicking yourself for not having it.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.