aldbusto

Jun 30, 2020
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New quartscape plaster (Tahoe blue) installed in May 2023. The pool had that deep blue appearance and now it has completely changed. My pool chemistry has been spot on except for the first couple of months where CH was a bit high but ok as per the contractor that installed it. The CH has since been corrected. Same contractor rep came out to inspect last week and applied a “paste” to a couple of areas to determine if it was scale and he said it was scale. The spots where he applied this "paste" clearly shows the Tahoe blue color but the surface is also now etched and rough. He wants to do an acid wash that will cost $1k if I balance or $1500 if he balances. I will add that the color change is uniform and even throughout the pool and I did not notice anything out of ordinary related to scale deposits or “patches” of scale. How i came to realize it was when I was brushing I just started thinking about how nice the pool looks and then i started scrolling through older pictures taken in May, June and July and that is when is started to compare and noticed the different color. The picture on the left is recent and the picture on the right was taken in May. I do have pictures taken in June where the color was still a deep blue. It does not make sense to me that he would want to acid wash new plaster in such a short period of time. Will the acid wash change the plaster such that will be rough and not smooth like it is now? Are there other options?

Attachments

• 20230825_171552805_iOS.jpg
    20230825_171552805_iOS.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 26
Post a complete set of test results from your test kit in the format…

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT
WATER TEMPERATURE

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Your pic on the left looks TFP clear with a sparkle. The pic on the right looks like a pool with some water chemistry issues.

Your contractor is proposing to take the quick nuclear option. I think there may be some more subtle treatments that take more time but don’t etch and rough up your plaster.

Post a complete set of test results from your test kit in the format…

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT
WATER TEMPERATURE

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Your pic on the left looks TFP clear with a sparkle. The pic on the right looks like a pool with some water chemistry issues.

Your contractor is proposing to take the quick nuclear option. I think there may be some more subtle treatments that take more time but don’t etch and rough up your plaster.
FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 480
CYA 60
Temp 93.5

Your FC is low for your CYA level.

For CYA 60 your FC should be 7-9.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and if you fail follow the SLAM Process

See what your pool and water look like after it is algae free.

FC_CYA_Chart.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.